• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Fall 2019 interview invites ?

Is it safe to assume that all invites to Boston have been sent out? It's been almost a week since their first batch of invites as far as I know..

Is it safe to assume that all invites to Boston have been sent out? It's been almost a week since their first batch of invites as far as I know..
are you based in boston? coz i know some people in canada got interview invites within this week

Seems like they've moved on to other countries.
Not based in Boston but I chose Boston as first choice for interview. I thought I would get an invite, but I guess you never know.

Seems like they've moved on to other countries.
Not based in Boston but I chose Boston as first choice for interview. I thought I would get an invite, but I guess you never know.
I think you should wait until invites start going out for the other locations. Don't condemn yourself just yet.

Also, they ask you to rank your preferences for a reason. It might be the case that you'll be invited to interview at your second, or third, choice location.

I think you should wait until invites start going out for the other locations. Don't condemn yourself just yet.

Also, they ask you to rank your preferences for a reason. It might be the case that you'll be invited to interview at your second, or third, choice location.
Thanks a lot for the words. Fingers crossed!

is it true that if you don't receive an interview invite, it is basically a rejection??
I believe so, according to their email:
"Our interviews are by invitation only. Our goal is to interview all candidates accepted into the program. An invitation to interview indicates that your application has reached an advanced stage of consideration, but it does not guarantee admission. "

I believe so, according to their email:
"Our interviews are by invitation only. Our goal is to interview all candidates accepted into the program. An invitation to interview indicates that your application has reached an advanced stage of consideration, but it does not guarantee admission. "
thanks.. fingers crossed

is this true??? They never mentioned the quant assessment in the info sessions... Assessment in what way? on paper?
Seems like it is. I'm interested in knowing what spurred the addition of this extra layer. Perhaps the last intake struggled (relatively) a bit in quant courses? or, maybe it's to help ensure that the admissions process is more objective? Maybe they got inundated with apps this year and they need this extra layer to help filter more effectively.

Hopefully one of the early invites will give us an idea of what to expect.

Seems like it is. I'm interested in knowing what spurred the addition of this extra layer. Perhaps the last intake struggled (relatively) a bit in quant courses? or, maybe it's to help ensure that the admissions process is more objective? Maybe they got inundated with apps this year and they need this extra layer to help filter more effectively.

Hopefully one of the early invites will give us an idea of what to expect.

I attended the ambassador program (back in early November) and Diane Jordan mentioned they would be incorporating a quantitative aspect of the interview this year. My guess is it wouldn't stray too far from questions seen on their suggested background assessment. Wouldn't hurt to practice with some quantitative finance interview questions and brush up on prob/stat, linear algebra, and calculus.

I am also based in Boston and haven't received an invite. In their email, they claim that "If invited to interview, you can always decide to join us on campus for an interview," which seems to mean that if you labeled Boston as a top priority, you will receive an invite to Boston if selected.

Really hope there's another Boston batch coming soon lol...

Does anyone know when the Cambridge Interview round ends?
Did anyone receive invites to Cambridge recently, if so what is the interview date?
Hey, Shrtvix. You can check the tracker for this info. Filter by program. Also, a few people earlier in this thread have indicated that they've received invites. Earliest I've seen is Feb 1. The tracker subtracts a day from inputed dates for some reason.

Hey, Shrtvix. You can check the tracker for this info. Filter by program. Also, a few people earlier in this thread have indicated that they've received invites. Earliest I've seen is Feb 1. The tracker subtracts a day from inputed dates for some reason.
Thanks for the comment , I saw some comments from Monday. I posted the question wondering if anyone got invites since then.

Doing some math on this, it seems possible but not likely that there will be another round of Boston interviews sent out.

Roughly 1800 applicants a year
~10% of classes are US citizens (Employment Reports | MIT Sloan)
~1/3 applicants receive interviews (Master of Finance FAQs | MIT Sloan School of Management)
~Expected # of US citizen interviews ~= 1/3 * 1/10 * 1800 = 60 (Assuming all these probabilities are independent which they probably aren't)

I can't remember if there were other US cities offered, but I'd assume most US citizens would incline to interview in Boston. Also, quantnet probably only represents a small portion of total applicants, maybe 5-10%, and there were already 5 unique interviewees I could gather from this thread. (5/0.075 ~= 67). Depends on how many of those selected are US citizens.

These calculations are pretty rough, but are a decent ballpark estimate.

Doing some math on this, it seems possible but not likely that there will be another round of Boston interviews sent out.

~1/3 applicants receive interviews (Master of Finance FAQs | MIT Sloan School of Management)
~Expected # of US citizen interviews ~= 1/3 * 1/10 * 1800 = 60 (Assuming all these probabilities are independent which they probably aren't)

I can't remember if there were other US cities offered, but I'd assume most US citizens would incline to interview in Boston. Also, quantnet probably only represents a small portion of total applicants, maybe 5-10%, and there were already 5 unique interviewees I could gather from this thread. (5/0.075 ~= 67). Depends on how many of those selected are US citizens.

There are a lot of non-US citizens applying and chose Boston for the interview, like myself. But I think you are right it is probably unlikely that many more people will report their application progress.
I'm just surprised, that I didn't get an interview. Last year I was interviewed on the first day of interviews and got waitlisted so I assumed I would get at least an interview this year again. Given that my application is way stronger than it was last year.

There are a lot of non-US citizens applying and chose Boston for the interview, like myself. But I think you are right it is probably unlikely that many more people will report their application progress.
I'm just surprised, that I didn't get an interview. Last year I was interviewed on the first day of interviews and got waitlisted so I assumed I would get at least an interview this year again. Given that my application is way stronger than it was last year.

Yeah good point. I didn't mean to say that only those invited to interview in Boston would be US citizens, but factoring in non-US, then perhaps there would be close to 100 invites to Boston total. That significantly increases the likelihood that more invites will be sent out.

However, being a US citizen is not an advantage...

I hate to admit but I also think that those who are based in US that haven't received an invite to interview have a slim chance (like myself). There will definitely be more rounds of interviews on campus given that the deadline for current MIT undergrad is Feb 1st, but not for us. Here's some nonofficial statistics on number of interview invites from a 2016 thread: MIT MFin - MIT MFin Class of 2016 Applications

And I second shrtvix's point that many of us located in US are non-US citizens so we don't have a good estimate of how many will get interviewed in Boston.

Back