• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Fall 2019 interview invites ?

Tips about the interview: The interviewer was really nice and I almost forgot I was doing an interview, felt more like a detailed conversation. Definitely know your resume inside-out, as they will probe into the smallest details about it.
Tips about the quant assessment: I can't reveal anything about the nature of the assessment itself, but don't stress it: just brush up on some math and you'll be fine. Best of luck to everyone!

Tips about the interview: The interviewer was really nice and I almost forgot I was doing an interview, felt more like a detailed conversation. Definitely know your resume inside-out, as they will probe into the smallest details about it.
Tips about the quant assessment: I can't reveal anything about the nature of the assessment itself, but don't stress it: just brush up on some math and you'll be fine. Best of luck to everyone!
Thank you so much for these tips, mate. "some math" is super broad though, but I understand why you would not want to reveal much more than that. Good luck with your application.

Hi thanks for sharing. What is the order of the interviews? Like assessment first or interviews first? Is the assessment on paper ?

Hi thanks for sharing. What is the order of the interviews? Like assessment first or interviews first? Is the assessment on paper ?

Interview first, then the assessment, yes it's on paper.
Also, just remembered, I was told by the interviewer that they simply make a recommendation to the committee, and the final decision rests on the admissions committee. So, it surely won't hurt to sweep your interviewer off the feet, but keep in mind that they don't push the admit/reject button. Just know your resume inside out and relax, they're great people! :)

EDIT: One more piece of advice- Do not give the impression that you need MIT to get a job in finance. The take-home should be that you can still get a job without MIT, but MIT would definitely enhance your learning experience and give you more opportunities to network/connect with employers.

EDIT 2: Pro-tip I received from a current MFin student during the lunch session. Do NOT bullshit during the interview, they will catch it pretty much immediately. Stick with what you've achieved, and don't exaggerate- it'll only hurt you because the interviewer may ask follow-up questions that probe deeper! If you got an interview request, you're already impressive on paper and just need to exemplify your communication skills!

Last edited:
Any advice concerning the quant assessment? What does it consist in? Which maths are tested? (linear and euclidean algebra, probability, stochastic models?)

Back