• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin grad looking for job in CNNMoney video

CNNMoney is doing a March segment on the difficulty of finding jobs in the current climate. In the first video, around 1:22 mark, a student from MIT MFin who graduated last June comments on how difficult it is to find jobs or internship and she needs to find it as soon as possible before her visa expires. So based on the date, it's been a difficult 9-month job search.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/14/pf/taxes/tax-unemployed/index.htm

I am in the same boat! There are no jobs in London! 99% of job postings that I have applied to, mention that they will not sponsor visas. Employers are not even willing to give internships to international students..it is a shame!

Seems like Canada is the best place for international students. Degree from GREAT school worth nothing now.

Clearly, the admission teams should admit more people that are able to get a job, i.e. people with some work experience.

Are all the segments in the video recent? I am connected to this girl on linkedin and it shows that she's been employed at GE capital since the end of last year.

The video was dated 3/8/12 so it's recent. Kristen LinkedIn profile shows she graduated in June 11 and in the video she mentioned "last June" and "her visa expires" so I'm pretty certain that she is currently looking for jobs as her OPT counts down. A lot of people don't update their LinkedIn profile.

By the way, do MIT MFin graduates qualify for STEM or they only have 12 months for OPT?

I hope Kristen's persistence pays off. She is doing the right thing. You need to go to job fairs, pound the pavement to find jobs. Brand name, degree alone are not going to hand out jobs to you on a silver platter.

The video was dated 3/8/12 so it's recent. Kristen LinkedIn profile shows she graduated in June 11 and in the video she mentioned "last June" and "her visa expires" so I'm pretty certain that she is currently looking for jobs as her OPT counts down. A lot of people don't update their LinkedIn profile.

By the way, do MIT MFin graduates qualify for STEM or they only have 12 months for OPT?

I hope Kristen's persistence pays off. She is doing the right thing. You need to go to job fairs, pound the pavement to find jobs. Brand name, degree alone are not going to hand out jobs to you on a silver platter.
no, STEM means Science, tech, eng and math. business school doesnt qualify for STEM. those math finance programs housed in math/eng department do qualify for STEM

This is sooo unfortunate! I was in a situation last year where I had to choose between MIT's M.Fin program and Stanford's MS&E and I'm lucky I guess I went with Stanford. It really seems that internationals might not have the same access to job opportunities like they do out in Northern California... It's such a shame because these highly motivated international students contribute to our economy from a macro standpoint and also bring various cultural values that add to our society. I'm still at a lost at why the bill for MIT's MFIN program was nearly $110K when they have been having such troubles getting their students hired. It really makes you wonder if the MIT Sloan brand getting diluted with the "increased class size" and additional round of admissions. Someone needs to bring this to light, unemployment is simply unacceptable coming from a school like MIT

I am in last year study at a top uni in Canada and in the exact same boat. For the last few months till graduate this year I have been turn away by all employers just because I am an international student and they don't want to sponsor me later nor worry about the lengthy and uncertainty process of applying for immigrant status, the Canadian experience class for immigrant has a huge backlog and quota are hit every year since the financial crisis in 2009, it is terrible everywhere now and employers are just too shy away from hiring someone on student visa

I am in last year study at a top uni in Canada and in the exact same boat. For the last few months till graduate this year I have been turn away by all employers just because I am an international student and they don't want to sponsor me later nor worry about the lengthy and uncertainty process of applying for immigrant status, the Canadian experience class for immigrant has a huge backlog and quota are hit every year since the financial crisis in 2009, it is terrible everywhere now and employers are just too shy away from hiring someone on student visa

What about the skill migration in Canada? I don't think that anyone needs to sponsor you.

What is the your province ? This is the first time i hear that a intl student in canada has problem with visa and sponsorship. Isnt intl students in canada allowed to stay up to 6 months to find job? (It is 1 year in some provinces). Also there are many provincial sponsorship program which you may be ultimately qualified for providing thathat you are at 20s, having a post secondary degree and good English (max mark for living more than 4 years). If your goal is staying here and look for a brighter opportunity in the future, you can check other jobs out. I know many guys with engineer background doing accounting now just to get exp to qualify for pr application.
Also i dont think the reason firms turned you down because your an intl student. There are not that many intl students request sponsorship in canada, most of the time they just go on there own without company sponsorship (either through provincial nominee program or just as skilled workers)

any idea how the prospects are for us citizens going to programs like mit mfin?

I don't think this video deserves as much attention....No program claims a placement rate of 100%..its around 95% for top programs like
MIT...so there ought to be few ppl who would be looking for jobs...Don't base your judgement only on outliers....

Back