• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Interview Invite 2021

Will there be questions about linear algebra in the quant assessment? I saw it included in the suggested background section on the website, but the emails seems to only include calculus and probability in the guidance.

Could anyone help clarify on this: will the quant assessment contain linear algebra or not? I saw linear algebra in the suggested background section in the website and the sample questions, but not in the email guidance about quant assessment.

There is someone saying that this year's number of ppl who received invitation of interview is smaller compared to past. Dont know if the statement is true.

I had the assessment and it was pretty basic. As was told in the email there were just basic calculus and probability/ statistics problems. You don't have to worry about that. The same is true about programming question.

I had the assessment and it was pretty basic. As was told in the email there were just basic calculus and probability/ statistics problems. You don't have to worry about that. The same is true about programming question.
Thanks for sharing and best of luck for your interview! Just to confirm: there is no linear algebra, right? Is the programming language specified or it's up to us? A huge thank you

Thank you! There wasn't linear algebra in my assessment and yes you may choose the programming Language.
Good luck!)

And how is it proctored? I'll have to set up my system accordingly then

Thank you! There wasn't linear algebra in my assessment and yes you may choose the programming Language.
Good luck!)
In terms of choosing programming language, I've noticed that websites like leetcode don't have support for R (which I was hoping to use for the assessment). Can we literally select any language for the assessment, or is it like a dropdown menu with a pre-selected set of options? Thanks for your help!

Edit: More precisely, can we use R?

Last edited:
In terms of choosing programming language, I've noticed that websites like leetcode don't have support for R (which I was hoping to use for the assessment). Can we literally select any language for the assessment, or is it like a dropdown menu with a pre-selected set of options? Thanks for your help!

Edit: More precisely, can we use R?
It's not like preselected menu. You just write as a comment what language you are using, then just write the code to solve the problem.

Thanks for sharing. Was it simpler than the problem set given on the website?

So there's no flash compiler, its like programming on word :)

There is someone saying that this year's number of ppl who received invitation of interview is smaller compared to past. Dont know if the statement is true.
When I registered for the interview, there were about 200-300 slots left. How do you think of the importance of the interview?

Back