• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Interview Invite 2021

Hi guyz, as far as I know generally they admit 200 students to mfin and around 130 enrolls. But in the interview invite there were around 220 solts, does that mean that they will only shortlist 200 students out of 220? I am confused...

Hi guyz, as far as I know generally they admit 200 students to mfin and around 130 enrolls. But in the interview invite there were around 220 solts, does that mean that they will only shortlist 200 students out of 220? I am confused...
It's possible that they'll admit less students this year tho

I think there are several interviewers for each slot since after I registered for one and went back on the page with a calendar, that particular slot was still available

I remember reading somewhere that they interview about 1/3 of the candidates and accept about 30% of those in order to get to about 200 acceptances

I remember reading somewhere that they interview about 1/3 of the candidates and accept about 30% of those in order to get to about 200 acceptances
I heard that the interview selection process was more selective for this year's application cycle than previous years'. It's just a rumor, but it'll be interesting to see how the numbers turn out.

I heard that the interview selection process was more selective for this year's application cycle than previous years'. It's just a rumor, but it'll be interesting to see how the numbers turn out.
Do you mean the process that they select who to interview or the process after the interview to select who to admit? If the former, then it might be kinda good news? Tho they may be planning on fewer headcount this year.

Do you mean the process that they select who to interview or the process after the interview to select who to admit? If the former, then it might be kinda good news? Tho they may be planning on fewer headcount this year.
I heard it's the former. Why do you think they may be planning on fewer headcount this year?

I heard it's the former. Why do you think they may be planning on fewer headcount this year?
Oh since if it’s the former, and they will admit the same number of students as previous years, then this year’s interview will have a higher offer rate. But if the interview offer rate keeps the same, then they are likely to admit fewer students this year. It’s just some math thing and completely based on the assumption that they’ve selected fewer students for interview lol.

Oh since if it’s the former, and they will admit the same number of students as previous years, then this year’s interview will have a higher offer rate. But if the interview offer rate keeps the same, then they are likely to admit fewer students this year. It’s just some math thing and completely based on the assumption that they’ve selected fewer students for interview lol.
Ok. I understand what you're saying. Yeah, I don't think it makes sense for the school to admit fewer students than in previous years, especially with the pandemic going on, but who knows. I could be totally wrong lol.

There weren't linear algebra questions in my assessment and in their email you may see only calculus and statistic questions.
Ok, thanks a lot for this Martin! Really appreciate it. Just seemed odd that the sample test is full of linear algebra.

I think there are several interviewers for each slot since after I registered for one and went back on the page with a calendar, that particular slot was still available
Yep there was actually 3-4 students in the zoom meeting with me when I did the quant assessment.

They seem to keep saying "No advanced preparation is needed".....would people say this is a fair comment??

Anyone who's already done the quant assessment can share if we need to share our screen during Zoom? Pretty worried about the poor internet connection via VPN when sharing the screen....

@dontworry Don't worry. It's not really true, forget advanced prep, you wouldn't even need any prep to give the assessment. It's very basic, even the coding question is just to test programming language literacy not your algo or actual programming skills. Hope that instills some confidence, go ace it!
@Marcus Love Quant no, you won't be asked to share your screen but the test platform may track if you shift tabs etc(you never know!), but otherwise you just need to turn on webcam. It's a 20 mins test, relax.

no, you won't be asked to share your screen but the test platform may track if you shift tabs etc(you never know!), but otherwise you just need to turn on webcam. It's a 20 mins test, relax.
Thanks bro! You mean the platform will track? Isn't it just Zoom we're testing on? Besides, I thought the test is 30 mins, is it just 20 mins?

Back