• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Interview

Does anyone here know anyone that ever got into this particular program without being interviewed? And yes, I know what the website says.

I think there is an instance or two in the tracker- but it might have been something else. I haven't heard of anyone applying to MIT before.

Go home, grab two or three beers with friends, and try not to worry. Our analytical minds have the habit of trying to figure out if we'll be in Chicago, Boston, New York, or San Francisco next year. Do your best to avoid doing that and let the dice fall where they may, since we have no control over it.

If MIT doesn't want you, somebody else will.

Hmmm. Any correlation with experience here? I'm four years out of undergrad. VP at a bulge bracket in S&T.

Ok I have to ask, if you are a VP at a S&T firm with 4 years under your belt, why are you doing the M.Fin? Why not just keep going or go for an MBA? What do you stand to gain from the degree that you don't already have with your experience?

Hi Guys,

I have been interviewed in round 1 and have been waitlisted. Last year did any one who were waitlisted gotten an admission ? Looks like even though the class size is 120, it is difficult to convert from a waitlist to a full time. I was told that there may be movement in the waitlist by the adcom.... any personal experiences will be appreciated...

Ok I have to ask, if you are a VP at a S&T firm with 4 years under your belt, why are you doing the M.Fin? Why not just keep going or go for an MBA? What do you stand to gain from the degree that you don't already have with your experience?
I'm really glad you asked that- that's a good question.

If you want to generally stay in finance, I think an MFin from a top program gives you as many options over the next 30 years as an MBA from a top program. There's also a lot fewer of us. 1000 students graduate from HBS every year. Similar numbers play out for Stanford, Booth, Wharton, and Sloan's MBA program. To get the numbers for the top two or three MS Finance programs and the stronger MFE programs, you need to take a zero off of that.

You've also got much smarter people going into these programs. And the two or three best finance programs are looking for people with personal skills on par with the top five business schools. Finally, of course, the curriculum is a lot more specialized and technical. It's not as easy as an MBA program. So IMHO, the dynamic for the really strong programs starts to look a lot like '70s and '80s MBA programs back when the degree meant a whole lot more.

Also, don't forget the fact that an MS program costs less in the form of time and money than an MBA. If you can do an MS in two semesters or even 18 months, you forgo a lot less revenue.

If you want a good asset manager, talk to a Sloan MFin guy first. If you can't find what you're looking for out of those 120 students, ok, then you try to find a Wharton or Harvard MBA out of the thousand students there.

anyone know if all the decisions will be released on exactly 23rd?
i think someone from round 1 heard back one or two days before the date on the website

Think it's supposed to be posted "after 5PM EST".

Have my fingers crossed. For my personal circumstances, MIT M.Fin is my top choice!

Hi, has anybody heard back yet? It is indicated on the website that today is the decision release date, but I have not heard anything yet. Also does anybody know if they'll update the status online or if they will call to inform us?

They're lying. Think about it. The way this works is someone (from the admissions office) goes into their online system and presses a couple of buttons and WALLAH! Emails get sent out to everybody. So there's no way that your little friend has heard back before the other ~600 people (my guess) who've applied.

They're lying. Think about it. The way this works is someone (from the admissions office) goes into their online system and presses a couple of buttons and WALLAH! Emails get sent out to everybody. So there's no way that your little friend has heard back before the other ~600 people (my guess) who've applied.

I think they are really doing it like that. They call the ones who got admitted first, and then e-mail everyone and update the online application. As far as I know, they did it for round 1, all the ones who got in received phone calls before e-mails.

Back