• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT Mfin Round 2 Interview 2020

Hi! Have anyone who is applying to MIT Mfin Round 2 (deadline Jan 06 2020) for the 2020 intake received an invite to the interview? The application confirmation email said that they will send out invitation in late Jan, but I haven’t seen anyone posted about this topic on the forum yet as of now.

I haven't heard back yet. Also, I think it would be better for you to add the prefix filter "mit mfin" to your post -- this way more MIT applicants will be able to locate this post.
fyi: Quant Programs

Hi! I just received an invite from MIT MFin for an interview. It is scheduled on 14th Feb.

Last edited:
I received an invite too. There is a quantiative assessment section for 15 minutes? Any idea what that is about?

I've heard alumni say that it's pretty basic and people who have received an interview invite should be be able to guide through it easily. Don't know the specifics though.

Last edited:
I've heard alumni say that it's pretty basic and people who have received an interview invite should be be able to guide through it easily. Don't know the specifics though.
what do they generally ask? Math, programming? Can you please elaborate slightly more on this. That should go a longg way in helping out!

So I have an interview early Feb and I am kinda freaking out about this assessment because I haven't taken a calculus or linear algebra in 5/4 years and I need to refresh on the topics. Do you know if it will be questions on these subjects that we should know, or if it is a generic quantitative assessment like the GRE or some IQ test? Thanks!

I received an invite and will be interviewing on Wednesday. If anyone has any insight on the quantitative assessment I will gladly take it! Good luck everyone!

Just did my mfin interview last week. Interviewer was very kind and chill. The 15 minute quant section was pretty straightforward, and as many have mentioned, if you have the quant courses background for this program you shouldn’t have a problem. New to this year is a separate 5 minute basic coding question. I was lucky in that I took a programming class during my final semester so I kinda solved it, probably with some syntax errors though. According to some other interviewees who asked about the coding part, what I hear - and only what I heard 2nd hand, not from an admissions officer - is that if you're not from a coding background and it's not one of your skillsets then generally they don't expect you to complete the coding part anyways.

Edit: removed some details to be closer to the level of detail that most other posts go to

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. So the 5 min coding test was a part of the 15 min quant test or what it separate?

I have to say that I think it's unfair @pretty new that you are providing such detailed information. I would have loved to know all this before I went in but I didn't. Sure you can provide some information but imo it should be pretty general stuff. Otherwise people that went first are at a disadvantage...

I have to say that I think it's unfair @pretty new that you are providing such detailed information. I would have loved to know all this before I went in but I didn't. Sure you can provide some information but imo it should be pretty general stuff. Otherwise people that went first are at a disadvantage...
lol

That’s a fair assessment. I edited to remove some details I guess were one step further than most other posters. The new coding thing is a separate 5 minute test, and I feel that giving folks a heads up is fair, since no one is gonna learn to code in a week for a random 5 minute test at the end of the whole application process anyways

Thank you @pretty new I appreciate that. Yeah the coding part kinda caught me off-guard but luckily it was pretty straightforward

Hi! I thought it was fairly easy. Imo it is a very beginner friendly question. As for the language, the person there told me I could write pseudocode so I would worry more about the logic than the syntax.

Hi! I thought it was fairly easy. Imo it is a very beginner friendly question. As for the language, the person there told me I could write pseudocode so I would worry more about the logic than the syntax.
Thanks a lot! May I ask whether you are interviewed f2f or by Skype?

Back