• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT MFin vs. NYU MSMF

I am having a hard time deciding between MIT M.Fin and NYU Math of finance. Each one has its pros and cons but I would also like to hear about other people's opinions. I am personally interested in going into algorithmic trading and I'm still unsure which program would have better recruiting and would better prepare me for the field I want to go into.

Thanks John. I should also add that I am currently an undergraduate at NYU and I have taken some math of finance classes at Courant. I have heard from many people that it is advantageous to switch schools for undergrad and grad as being exposed to different departments will give you a fresh perspective.

I have heard from many people that it is advantageous to switch schools for undergrad and grad as being exposed to different departments will give you a fresh perspective.

I concur with those sentiments. Not only a fresh perspective but a wider perspective. At Sloan, you could be sitting alongside a future financier working on a Third-World country agribusiness financing deal...

like said in the other post, globally honorable choice befits long term study plan, say if you decide to continue to pursue a phd in whatever, or a second master. NYU is distinguished with no doubt. in case you are sure after mfe you are going to stay and work in nyc area for the next several decades, it's apparently ideal place since you dont need to move. but mit and/or standford printed on you resume gets even significant attractions when you visit other countries too, like Singapore, China... selected education experience also offers big leverage in the future in your job/graduate school applications, since whoever does not really know what the market is like after several years.

Does anybody know how the two schools' recruitment compare? Andy, it'd be nice if you can give me some insight into this.

At NYU, you will get access to Wassermann center. You will get emails about internship/jobs from Melissa, the program's secretary. You also benefit from having practitioners teaching in the program.
At MIT, your go to source is the CDO office which oversee placement/services for all Sloan programs.

NYU has done well in the past (according to info on their website) due to its location, small class size and the number of practitioners in the program.

However, due to the shrinking pool of traditional quantitative jobs and the increasing number of MFE graduates from NYC-based programs and nationally, NYU is not likely going to be competitive enough if they don't put in place dedicated structure for their program.
You can see the trend everywhere. Columbia IEOR just hired a full-time person for their MFE program. Boston is hiring an executive director for the career services. Baruch hired Ellen Reeves to provide personal career coaching for their MFE students.
A lot of similar things are going in other programs, in various ways.

So, before you go into any program, make sure what you will get. They won't give you a job but they should have a structured system in place to help you maximize your opportunity there.

Ahh such a hard decision! Thanks for your 2 cents.

I was on the same boat as you are, and I picked MIT simply because I do not have enough exposure to the industry. In other words, I am not yet committed to a specific career goal. Some "exploration" may help.

If you are sure algo trading is your aspiration, NYU is defnitdly a solid place to be. It is a good match in terms of access to professionals and past placement record (which shows NYU sends a higher proportion of students to those roles).

Back