• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT Mfin worth it?

Dear All,

This is my first post on Quantnet and I would greatly appreciate if I could get some advises regarding the Mfin Program at MIT (I was admitted to the 18 month program).
A little bit about my background:
I am a senior at a non-target US University graduating this semester with double major in Econ and Math. I am a international student from Europe and I have only had a couple Finance related internship (nothing very remarkable).

My question is whether or not the program is worth the high price tag and how is its reputation in the workplace. Also, would it be reasonable for someone interested in working in a more quantitative filed to enroll at MIT Mfin? The curriculum seems not quantitative, although one can customize its own curriculum by taking more quantitative courses.
I was not able to find much recent reviews about this program so it would be very helpful if someone could share some insights.

Thank you very much in advance!

As you already mentioned, this program has far less quant component than peer programs like MFE and MAFN of Columbia, MFE of Berkeley, MSCF of CMU, and MathFin of NYU. If you are very certain that you want to work in a quantitative field, I suggest that you consider other programs, although they are as expensive as MIT MFin. If you look at the job report of MIT MFin program, its starting salary is about 40-50% lower than programs I mentioned above. It's hard to tell how the 18-month program can improve that poor job placement so far as they started this 18-month program last year.

As you already mentioned, this program has far less quant component than peer programs like MFE and MAFN of Columbia, MFE of Berkeley, MSCF of CMU, and MathFin of NYU. If you are very certain that you want to work in a quantitative field, I suggest that you consider other programs, although they are as expensive as MIT MFin. If you look at the job report of MIT MFin program, its starting salary is about 40-50% lower than programs I mentioned above. It's hard to tell how the 18-month program can improve that poor job placement so far as they started this 18-month program last year.
Thank you for your response. You are right, it is far less quantitative compared to the programs you mentioned. However, I believe students are able to enroll in quantitative courses in the main campus. Do you have any thoughts about its reputation among employers? Thank you!

You'll be able to take some courses in the main campus, but the number will be limited. As for reputation among employers, I don't really know. I'm not in this program but once considered it. My undergrad is a target school, but the brand can only take me to the first round interview. I guess the MIT brand can take you to some interviews as well, but eventually quant is not like IBD, you have to show some very solid skills.

Back