• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT Sloan MFin program extended deadline

Good news to those who did not have time to apply.
MIT added a second round deadline to January.

they extend the deadline because many emailed them to postpone so that people can take the december GRE or GMAT.

Second rounders can get their admission results within 6 weeks of application deadline. That's going to attract a decen tnumber of people to apply to round 2.

I rushed my GRE, essays and recommendations to get them in by yesterday. Hopefully there's no disadvantage against second rounders who have more time to prepare.

PennyLess,
Some people will say it's unfair but schools will do what's best for them. I'm not buying the argument that a huge university like MIT would change their admission process because some students want to take a later exam. It doesn't work that way for well-oiled machine such as business schools.

You probably should post the online chat transcript here.

I can think of two possible reasons
a. I think they didn't received the number of applications they had expected. They would not want to state that there were fewer applications than last year or that there was no significant increase.
b. There are still a lot of incomplete applications and they want to give them a chance by
adding them to the second round.

However I remember in some chat they clearly denied any plan to increase the seats ...

I think reduced number of applicants could be the reason or may be increased number of seats.
I don't understand why they ask for an academic reco for people who are out of school for 4-5 years... My professors won't even remember me after 5 years...
Few of my friends with 2-3 years of work-ex did not apply due to this reason .

I think reduced number of applicants could be the reason or may be increased number of seats.
I don't understand why they ask for an academic reco for people who are out of school for 4-5 years... My professors won't even remember me after 5 years...

I think the program is aimed at recent undergrad and career changers ( at least what they have posted on their website) probably this is the reason they want one academic reco.
Moreover their application form was also very acad focussed (with subjects grades etc).

I applied with 3.5 years of experience. My professors were actually very nice about writing my recommendation though they didn't remember a single thing about me except what grades I had in their grade spreadsheet. One of them actually had me sit down with him for a half hour chat and he was telling me about the benefits of each of the programs out there. He asked me for my transcript so he could see my performance on the other statistics courses I have taken, so he could comment on what they mean for grad school success. Given that he didn't remember a single thing about me, I think that's the best a professor could do for a candidate.

More on MIT MFin

Since this is a thread on MIT, I would like to share some more information from one of the online chat sessions with those who applied, those preparing for round 2, and the others who are curious.

According to the Sloan admissions office, new courses offered in the Spring are:
1. Functional & Strategic Finance (R. Merton) - he taught this in Harvard before so you can find the syllabus and course description there.
2. Retirement Finance, Lifecycle Investing & Asset Management (R. Merton)
3. Analytics of Finance II (Andrew Lo) - their second FE course

Thanks for the info.
any idea how many days after the deadline they start sending the interview invites and how many days after the interview one can expect the result.

When will the interviews for the second round will be conducted?

Guys, anyone has a clue when the applicants of round 2 will be called for an interview?

Andy, you have closely observed the process last year. Do you think everyone who applied will know that results this week?

Retirement finance is a curiously attractive option to take. Funding longevity will be a major part of mathematical finance in years to come. They should be congratulated for adding it, and of course both lecturers come with a good rep.

Retirement finance is a curiously attractive option to take. Funding longevity will be a major part of mathematical finance in years to come. They should be congratulated for adding it, and of course both lecturers come with a good rep.
Yep, have begun to see some interest for modeling longevity swaps here.

As far as I can tell, this instrument hasn't yet moved from the actuarial domain (i.e., pose a survival model--most appear to be adaptations of the Lee-Carter model--and fit it to historical data) into the risk-neutral one (i.e., pose a reduced-form model and fit it to good data on traded instruments), though.

Back