• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT Sloan MFin vs Oxford MCF

Hi everyone,

I am having a really hard time making up my mind about those two programs : MIT Sloan MFin and Oxford's 'master in Mathematical and Conputational Finance.

I was admitted to Oxford's program and I have been interviewed for MIT's program.

I am currently in a French Grande Ecole (engineering school) and would like to do a master in mathematical finance to become a quant and work in IB.

I have no previous experience or internships in finance by the way.

So I can't make up my mind about either one of these programs. Can you tell which one is better ? Are they different ? Is one more prestigious than the other ?

PS : I want to choose the better program regardless of the country because I don't have a preference of one country over the other.

Thanks very much.

Hi Nany..... In my opinion obvious I prefer MIT ............but I have a question for you......For
Oxford's 'master in Mathematical and Conputational Finance did you done an interview and if you done what they question you ??.......beacause I am doing now the papers for the same programm and i have a lot of anxious.

Hi everyone,

I am having a really hard time making up my mind about those two programs : MIT Sloan MFin and Oxford's 'master in Mathematical and Conputational Finance.

I was admitted to Oxford's program and I have been interviewed for MIT's program.

I am currently in a French Grande Ecole (engineering school) and would like to do a master in mathematical finance to become a quant and work in IB.

I have no previous experience or internships in finance by the way.

So I can't make up my mind about either one of these programs. Can you tell which one is better ? Are they different ? Is one more prestigious than the other ?

PS : I want to choose the better program regardless of the country because I don't have a preference of one country over the other.

Thanks very much.

Are you European citizen? If yes, you should choose Oxford.

Oxford and MIT are both top institutions in the world, but MIT MFin is not a quant program.

Hi Nany..... In my opinion obvious I prefer MIT ............but I have a question for you......For
Oxford's 'master in Mathematical and Conputational Finance did you done an interview and if you done what they question you ??.......beacause I am doing now the papers for the same programm and i have a lot of anxious.

The interview is a very mathematical one. At the beginning they asked me about my motivations, and why and I chose Oxford. And right after that they started asking me questions about statistics, probability...

Are you European citizen? If yes, you should choose Oxford.

Oxford and MIT are both top institutions in the world, but MIT MFin is not a quant program.

Yes, I am European. And Oxford is my preference right now. But I am afraid I won't even get an internship at the end of Oxford MCF because I have no experience in finance as of right now...

By the way, anyone has advice on how to get that first internship in finance, because I have applied to a lot of IB and trading companies but I kept being turned down so far.

Last edited:
But I am afraid I won't even get an internship at the end of Oxford MCF because I have no experience in finance as of right now...

Then you'd better choose Oxford, because it will be much harder to land internship at MIT in the US. I have some friends in LSE, OxBridge, they told me Europeans have more advantages to secure internships than others. My friend in Imperial College said the first batch of people who got summer offer were all Europeans in his class.

Hallo Nany , .....what happens eventually with your interview in mit ?............I have a question for you about oxford .....how many days did you waiting for response when you completed the application for oxford ?..........and if you know....is there any possibility to be accepted in oxford without interview ??...........I am talking for the same course that you have been accepted !

I waited for 3 weeks then the interview then waited for 2 weeks before the final yes.

The interview is mandatory for this Msc I think

By the way, does anyone have tips or ideas of companies that accept interns who do not have previous experience in finance because I have a very hard time finding an internship in the field.

Sorry for the questions :P ...........i have one last ...........how much time was the interview ?? and they only ask you about statistics and probability?........I ask because i am an economist and i know the basic about linear algebra and calculus !

The interview is 30 minutes long and it was mainly about the topics I mentioned.

according to this site you should pick neither and go with Baruch!!!

I think Oxford carries more weight in the USA than MIT does in the UK. So I guess it would depend on where you want to live/work for the short term/long term

Back