• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF U of Toronto 2013 application

Hi guys,

Anybody appliying for MMF uoft for Fall 2013? What are your backgrounds? Anybody going to info session?

gavchik hey, I plan to apply for Fall 2013. I have bachelors in math and fin. but so much in stats and C++. yeah I was gonna check out their info session see what they have to say.. haha

I heard the # of applicants keeps on growing every year...i.e. less chance to get it. Which school is your undegrad from?

Yeah i figureed that out reading threads from last year. I didn't graduate here in Canada. Came here after. I'm working in acctg now, but wana do something else. You?

I graduated from UofT 2 years ago, went into another non-finance related career but now thinking of going to finance ( in search of a better job). I hope they accept non-recent grads.

Applied last week. It was a relatively painless application compared to many of the US ones. Does anyone know how many people get interview invitations? I heard most people they're considering who are close to Toronto will receive interviews. I'm graduating from UWaterloo.

on info session they said about 150 (out of 500 applicants) get interviews and I heard that they actually prefer international students

Why would they prefer international students? I almost finished my application. Are you guys preparing for the UofT interview or UW test at all?.

Why would they prefer international students? I almost finished my application. Are you guys preparing for the UofT interview or UW test at all?.

less scholarships to go around, higher prices for them, more revenue for the university.

Yes. You can apply for a private one on your own. From my admissions encounter feedback with other schools, scholarship administration is a nightmare.

Applied last week. It was a relatively painless application compared to many of the US ones. Does anyone know how many people get interview invitations? I heard most people they're considering who are close to Toronto will receive interviews. I'm graduating from UWaterloo.
Hi, did you apply for MQF of UWaterloo? General speaking, which one is easier to get in?

I am a current student in the MMF program.

on info session they said about 150 (out of 500 applicants) get interviews and I heard that they actually prefer international students

This is not the true. They do not prefer international students. If anything, they should prefer resident students since it is easier for them to get full time employment.

All students pay the same amount of money; 40k regardless of if you are from Toronto or Bermuda.

International students only have to pay a little extra for health insurance but it is not much.

I am a current student in the MMF program.

This is not the true. They do not prefer international students. If anything, they should prefer resident students since it is easier for them to get full time employment.

All students pay the same amount of money; 40k regardless of if you are from Toronto or Bermuda.

International students only have to pay a little extra for health insurance but it is not much.

Dismantler, thanks for the info! Do you have any suggestions what to review in case I get an interview? ( I was out of school for a few years, so need to review some math concepts)

Review some probability theory and general math courses you took in undergrad.

If you got an A+ in ode's you better know how to answer basic questions when asked. That kills a lot of people in the interviews. They have amazing marks but can't answer basic questions.

thanks! what do you think are basic questions, solving an equation or theoretical concepts?

Back