• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF U of Toronto 2013 application

I have a feeling the interview process might be seperate from the math assessment
I haven't done the math yet, and I already received an email for an interview.
i think not all people required for the assessment. or maybe you are right....two different process

I read last year's post; someone got the interview first and then the online assessment. I'm a bit confused now.

Also, I'd say the questions for the online assessment's random, since the composition of type of questions I got is different than Evan's

I got an email with the assessment today, plan to do it tomorrow morning. Very excited, yet nervous:)

Evan, I think I read it somewhere last year, that people started to get invintations for interviews a few days after the assessment and interviews took place about a week or two later. However, this was the procedure for international students who had skype/phone interview.

To Cam, the only reason I can justify different processses is the profile of the applicant. I have finished my undegrad a few years ago, so maybe they sent me an assessment to see if I remember any math. While others studying currently studying are not required to show that they "remember".

I read last year's post; someone got the interview first and then the online assessment. I'm a bit confused now.

Also, I'd say the questions for the online assessment's random, since the composition of type of questions I got is different than Evan's
Did u have matlab question?

Thanks~ I plan on doing it tomorrow since my interview is on Friday and I want to finish the assessment before the interview.

darn, i wonder if invitation for assessment equals invitation for interviews. are you based in toronto?

darn, i wonder if invitation for assessment equals invitation for interviews. are you based in toronto?
I guess the selection process is different than previous years, as I am based in Toronto and I received an invintation for assessment only.
I think invintation for an interview is worth more than just an assessment.
Maybe they don't conduct as many interviews as they used to, and just invite the top students at first and then choose the remaining from people who completed the assessment.

interview on the 18th, at waterloo. I think that they are holding interview sessions at different locations this year.

Hey guys,
Just wondering, how many of you have gotten both an assessment and an interview request, and are also based in Toronto?
I only got the assessment, and when I asked Petra she told me that the order of assessment and interview doesn't matter (every successful applicant must do both, according to her), but obviously I'm still very concerned that I only have one of them.
Thanks a bunch!

well i dont know if this gonna help or not, but me (in Canada but not Toronto) and a few students that I know have received invitation of interview. But I think they are still sending out interview invitations these days since I received it early yesterday and my friends received it either earlier than me or today.

Just done the assessment. Stats and finance questions are very simple. but I am not sure about the math parts…
Maybe because I am not from math…

well i dont know if this gonna help or not, but me (in Canada but not Toronto) and a few students that I know have received invitation of interview. But I think they are still sending out interview invitations these days since I received it early yesterday and my friends received it either earlier than me or today.
Hi Andrew,
Did you guys all get the assessment as well?

Hey guys,
Just wondering, how many of you have gotten both an assessment and an interview request, and are also based in Toronto?
I only got the assessment, and when I asked Petra she told me that the order of assessment and interview doesn't matter (every successful applicant must do both, according to her), but obviously I'm still very concerned that I only have one of them.
Thanks a bunch!
I got my invite for an interview after I received an assessment ( and did not complete it at a time as well). The email for an interview is very general and starts with "dear mmf applicant", so I think you will get yours soon , once the "system" generates an email for you.

Hi Andrew,
Did you guys all get the assessment as well?
Yes. Don't worry I think they should still be sending invitations. I heard from people applied last year that they are still interviewing people in early April.

I have just done the online assesment. As mentioned above there are 10 questions : 2 basic finance concepts, 1 stats, 1 matlab and 6 math related. The questions are easy and each should not take more than 5 minutes to complete/explain ( I would say anybody who took 1st and 2nd year math courses would get the right answers) .
I found the timing a bit confusing. It does not appear anywhere at the begining , so make a note on the exact time you download the assessment. However once you upload the documents, there is a note how long it took you. This also means that you can upload the documents even after 1 hour and 15 minutes and the system would still accept it. Also you can upload more than 1 ( I did 10 documents, one for each question) at different times ( finish the 1st question, upload it, finish the 2nd, upload it, etc).

To members having an interview tomorrow, good luck and keep us updated how it went!

I have just done the online assesment. As mentioned above there are 10 questions : 2 basic finance concepts, 1 stats, 1 matlab and 6 math related. The questions are easy and each should not take more than 5 minutes to complete/explain ( I would say anybody who took 1st and 2nd year math courses would get the right answers) .
I found the timing a bit confusing. It does not appear anywhere at the begining , so make a note on the exact time you download the assessment. However once you upload the documents, there is a note how long it took you. This also means that you can upload the documents even after 1 hour and 15 minutes and the system would still accept it. Also you can upload more than 1 ( I did 10 documents, one for each question) at different times ( finish the 1st question, upload it, finish the 2nd, upload it, etc).

To members having an interview tomorrow, good luck and keep us updated how it went!

Hi gavchik, how did you upload your files? Did you just select your solution file and click "enter"?

I did this but I was unable to upload the files!

Back