• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

I have not even invited for interview :notworthy: They said my application is under review..

You probably don't live in Ontario? In that case, I say don't worry. They obviously are very very busy with all the applications...

I got it from Petra, the program coordinator. He mentioned in his email when I asked him about the admission process.

Thanks viv_d. Do you have other info like the percentage of International applicants they admit? I'm worried because I haven't received online assessment email so far.

Thanks viv_d. Do you have other info like the percentage of International applicants they admit? I'm worried because I haven't received online assessment email so far.
yes I am curious about this too, anyone seniors from previous batch at Toronto can help answer this?

Looking at the program description, I feel that this program is more mathematical. And so, I feel people with degrees in Mathematics like the M.Sc/B.Sc in Maths are given preference over the engineering grad. So, if you are an engineering grad, I guess you 'might' need to wait.

yes I am curious about this too, anyone seniors from previous batch at Toronto can help answer this?

Sorry, but I don't know. Judging from previous posts and previous years' results, international students normally receive interview invitations around mid March, but I don't know what's going to happen this year since the it's the first year that they are doing the online assessment.

well, they went to Beijing to present about the program so I guess they should take at least some international students, but the fact that international students may find it hard to get a job after graduation will not allow them to admit too many of them. Seems like they target students who will go to work in Hong kong, Beijing or Shanghai which will boost the employment statistic

got an assessment soon, really anxious!! Why do they have to make it so troublesome!

well, they went to Beijing to present about the program so I guess they should take at least some international students, but the fact that international students may find it hard to get a job after graduation will not allow them to admit too many of them. Seems like they target students who will go to work in Hong kong, Beijing or Shanghai which will boost the employment statistic
you mean would they come to Beijing. or had they come to Beijing?
And is it hard for international students to land a job in Canada or America?

you mean would they come to Beijing. or had they come to Beijing?
And is it hard for international students to land a job in Canada or America?
Yes, of course, it is much harder for international students to get a job in Canada or USA unless they are landed immigrant (permanent resident). Employer will tend to hire local first and unless they cannot find any one then they will hire international student but they must prove that they cannot find any citizen or permanent resident that is suitable for the job (the labour certification process). It is especially difficult for entry level positions because no employer want to do so much paper work and the uncertainty of getting the applicant to work for long term due to visa issue while they can easily find a citizen or permanent resident to fill the job

Yes, of course, it is much harder for international students to get a job in Canada or USA unless they are landed immigrant (permanent resident). Employer will tend to hire local first and unless they cannot find any one then they will hire international student but they must prove that they cannot find any citizen or permanent resident that is suitable for the job (the labour certification process)

Then, how about landing a job in America?

Yes, of course, it is much harder for international students to get a job in Canada or USA unless they are landed immigrant (permanent resident). Employer will tend to hire local first and unless they cannot find any one then they will hire international student but they must prove that they cannot find any citizen or permanent resident that is suitable for the job (the labour certification process). It is especially difficult for entry level positions because no employer want to do so much paper work and the uncertainty of getting the applicant to work for long term due to visa issue while they can easily find a citizen or permanent resident to fill the job

Oh, really quite tough~~Thank you~;) ~

Then, how about landing a job in America?

I think US may be a bit better because that market is huge and there are many more employers, but both are tough when the economy is lackluster, they always protect local first

I think US may be a bit better because that market is huge and there are many more employers, but both are tough when the economy is lackluster, they always protect local first
Yeah, that's right~~:)

anybody know what kind of questions they asked on the interview of yesterday

I went in for the interview yesterday, it was very similar to what has been mentioned here so far with regards to structure and topics covered..

Back