• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

Hi Everyone!

I just got invited for an entrance exam at UofT; I am assuming this is because I live in Toronto.

Anyway, does anyone know what to expect? What kind of Mathematical knowledge do they test?

I have heard they ask basic things like PDFs and things like expected value of a RV. Is that all or do I need to review my notes from probablity?

Any thing on Stochastic Process?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

I got the same email. I am debating whether to go for the entrance exam or not... Does anyone know on what's on it?

I'm from London, Ontario.. about 2 hrs away

I got the same email. I am debating whether to go for the entrance exam or not... Does anyone know on what's on it?
Same here . I got the email today and I said I can come on Monday next week since it is my only free time. I have 5 midterms to do next week and monday 2pm is my only free time.

I just want to know if it is something I need to prepare for. I have been taking useless engineering courses so I forgot some Analysis and Probability.

I'm from BC. I didn't get that email, does that mean I'm rejected?

No. I believe only students in Toronto or within a reasonable distance from Toronto are invited for an in-person interview/exam.

I think out of province applicants are contacted for phone interviews.

No. I believe only students in Toronto or within a reasonable distance from Toronto are invited for an in-person interview/exam.

I think out of province applicants are contacted for phone interviews.

Thanks so much for your reply!!! God knows how anxious I'm now... All my applications are pending...:cry:

I'm from BC. I didn't get that email, does that mean I'm rejected?
Me too, not yet receiving any news from them, I saw on trackers people have already been interviewed around this time in the past, good luck to those who will take the entrance exam, is it scheduled for next week?

Me too, not yet receiving any news from them, I saw on trackers people have already been interviewed around this time in the past, good luck to those who will take the entrance exam, is it scheduled for next week?

Yeah, interviews are next week. I have it on Monday so I will post Monday evening for the benefit of those who have it later in the week.

Yeah, interviews are next week. I have it on Monday so I will post Monday evening for the benefit of those who have it later in the week.

Hey all the best for your exam! Hope you will do well, I know it is stressful to have so many midterms and test at this time!

hey guys how was the test at Toronto? Anyone has already received the offer of admission?

hey guys how was the test at Toronto? Anyone has already received the offer of admission?
jondan, we are on the same page....let me know if you receive any information. I'm out of Toronto and didn't hear anything yet.

jondan, we are on the same page....let me know if you receive any information. I'm out of Toronto and didn't hear anything yet.
Yea I have not heard anything yet (I am not in Toronto area), will update when receive anything from them. Btw, anyone know if the ScotiaBank line of credit that they mentioned for MMF students needs a cosigner or not?

The test in toronto was fine! Tested some basis knowledge on math that a typical undergrad should have. No questions on statistics. Some questions are open ended so you can answer however you like. I think the idea of the test was to see how you think/approach problems.

The interview was structed like this...

First 30 minutes was a basic math evaluation.

Next 30 minutes was regular HR questions like why UofT, did you apply anywhere else, what do you hope to do after mmf and give one reason why you should/shouldn't be admitted.

Next 20 minutes was reading and presenting. They give you an article you read it and present what you understand from the article.

Next 30 minutes was verbal questions on random math topics. I got asked stuff about the axiom of choice, cantor's diagonalization and sets in general. Questions during these time are not completely random if you don't know much about a specific thing it will be wise not to mention it because you will likely be asked it explain it.

Next 20 mintes was open for the students to ask questions to the interviewer and vise versa. It was basically an open discussion session.

After my interview I was not very impressed by the MMF interviewing process. I don't like the idea of group interviews because as you answer personal questions everyone else is listening. Also, people sort of learn from your answers so whoever answers first is sort of at a disadvantage.

From what I understand monday's group was the first group to get interviewed. The interviews are still ongoing and I don't think they have sent out request for the phone interview.

The lady interviewing also said that we are the very first ones so others have not been interviewed hence we should expect to here from them within a month. So no offers yet!

hey Dismantler, thanks a lot, congratz for going through the interview! Hope we will also hear from them soon too..

I don't think I'm going to bother with the interview.

Back