• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

Hi guys, its time to plan for our living in Toronto this Fall, I have estimated my budget below, please comment if you are there as I've never lived in Toronto and being an international student I may not have a good estimation:

+ Tuition + Incidental fee + international isurance $25,000/year (assume 100% got internship)

+ Housing: $300 (share the house with another classmate based on average $600 per house near to downtown area)
+ Cell Phone + internet: $30/month (share with flatmate)
+ Food: $150/month (assume $5 a day on self cooking)
+ Transportation: $100/month (assume $3 a day go back and forth to school)
+ Toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, haircut etc): $100/month
+ Other expenses (movies/entertainment etc): $20/month

Total personal expense for 1 year: $700 x 12 = $8400

+ Books: $200/year (can buy used books)

Total expenses for 1 year: $33,600

based on this, i expected to source for a fund of 40K to cover some other accidental expenses, will that be sufficient?

Btw, is it easy to find a part time job near to the campus?

My year during the program cost me about 35k, so i think your estimates are good. It can be easy to find a part-time job, but I don't recommend it as the program is intense and requires a lot of hours. I suggest you focus on your studies.

To add to this point, no student took a part-time job in the year that I graduated. I managed to do the CFA level 2 at the same time, but this was a bit of a stretch.

In terms of books, there are a few books that are suggested to be bought, but the program offers a free library for students which has all the relevant books/papers.

You can easily get through the program using ebooks and professors notes.

Living expense is quite less than in US, especially some big cities, say, NY.
Even the paying would not be as much as NY, I think living and working there should bring people more happiness.
What a peaceful life, less stressful than US, however, if I have such a chance, I still hope to move to WS, the most dynamic financial center in the world, after working some years in Bay Street.
Speaking of happiest place to live, the Gallup survey released this month say Canada is #5 on the list while USA is #11.
The top 4 countries are all Scandinavia
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/04/happiness-world-bhutan-meeting-denmark.html

Hi, Dibbs:

Thank you for sharing info about the life and expense here.
Could you share something about the placement, especially for the international students, and the courses of this program?
The courses must be quite intense, since we take courses less than 7months in total.
I plan to do some preparations, such as reviewing some math courses, and improve my programming.
Do you have any suggestions for that:) ?

Just signed and submitted my offer. No turning back now.

For people who still have interviews...there are still spots available.

How do you know there are still spots available Dismantler? Did you talk to someone at MMF? How about those who have already interviewed, are they on the waitlist or rejected list? Thanks

Excuse me, did you say you accept the offer? I dont understand what you mean by signed and submitted your offer,could you please explain it? : )
Btw, I do believe there are some spots available in MMF. But what I am worried about is how many remaining.

Excuse me, did you say you accept the offer? I dont understand what you mean by signed and submitted your offer,could you please explain it? : )
Btw, I do believe there are some spots available in MMF. But what I am worried about is how many remaining.

I think those who are admitted need to send a cheque of $3000 as deposit and if you change your mind they will not refund the money to you, this is to avoid people to jump ship if they suddenly have a better offers

I think those who are admitted need to send a cheque of $3000 as deposit and if you change your mind they will not refund the money to you, this is to avoid people to jump ship if they suddenly have a better offers
Then he accepted the offer I guess. And you are still waiting?

On the MMF website, you can read that generally they finish sending admission offers by end of April. Hence, there is still some chance :)
yes, spots are still available. my interview is scheduled tmr morning. So never give up until they reject u. Good luck to everyone still waiting, including myself.:)

How do you know there are still spots available Dismantler? Did you talk to someone at MMF? How about those who have already interviewed, are they on the waitlist or rejected list? Thanks

I spoke to Petra today and she said there are still some spots being held back.

I signed my offer of admission and paid the 3,000$ deposit to the MMF program.

From what I understood there are atleast 5 spots left.

I spoke to Petra today and she said there are still some spots being held back.

I signed my offer of admission and paid the 3,000$ deposit to the MMF program.

From what I understood there are atleast 5 spots left.
Thanks man, that's inspiring me. Having interview tmr morning.

Back