• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin MMF University of Toronto 2012 -Entrance Exam

Do u guys know when is the deadline for admitted student to reply to MMF?
I am still waiting too.

Do u guys know when is the deadline for admitted student to reply to MMF?
I am still waiting too.
In the website they said that 12 days after the offer is made, people have the offers at different time so the deadlines are also different i guess, you may refer to the tracker. Btw when was your interview?

They said that they have not decided yet for my case, they hope to finalize starting mid april
This is the email from Petra just mins ago:
Thank you for your application to the Mathematical Finance Program. We
have now reviewed all of the files, and I regret to inform you that it
appears unlikely at this time that we will be able to offer you a place
in this program for the coming year. There have been many excellent
candidates, and we were unable to accept them all.

However, we have left your name on the waiting list in case positions
become available within the next few months.

In any event, I wish you all the best in your future studies and thank you for your patience.

This is the email from Petra just mins ago:
Thank you for your application to the Mathematical Finance Program. We
have now reviewed all of the files, and I regret to inform you that it
appears unlikely at this time that we will be able to offer you a place
in this program for the coming year. There have been many excellent
candidates, and we were unable to accept them all.

However, we have left your name on the waiting list in case positions
become available within the next few months.

In any event, I wish you all the best in your future studies and thank you for your patience.

Oh well, at least now we can move on with life. Did you emailed her to ask or she just send it to you?

I send her email to ask my status.

thanks qunli, wish you all the best! just ignore about that list and some day they may need to call you, if not then focus on next year and apply to more schools

thanks qunli, wish you all the best! just ignore about that list and some day they may need to call you, if not then focus on next year and apply to more schools
Thank you. Maybe I need find a job and then make the application for next year. Good luck with you!

Hi guys, its time to plan for our living in Toronto this Fall, I have estimated my budget below, please comment if you are there as I've never lived in Toronto and being an international student I may not have a good estimation:

+ Tuition + Incidental fee + international isurance $25,000/year (assume 100% got internship)

+ Housing: $300 (share the house with another classmate based on average $600 per house near to downtown area)
+ Cell Phone + internet: $30/month (share with flatmate)
+ Food: $150/month (assume $5 a day on self cooking)
+ Transportation: $100/month (assume $3 a day go back and forth to school)
+ Toiletries (shampoo, toothpaste, haircut etc): $100/month
+ Other expenses (movies/entertainment etc): $20/month

Total personal expense for 1 year: $700 x 12 = $8400

+ Books: $200/year (can buy used books)

Total expenses for 1 year: $33,600

based on this, i expected to source for a fund of 40K to cover some other accidental expenses, will that be sufficient?

Btw, is it easy to find a part time job near to the campus?
Thank you jondan;):

I am an international student too.
I have noticed that the accommodation expense would be much less if living off-campus in downtown, while, as some
one who first came to Canada, I'm worried that this would cause some trouble or be quite inconvenient.
What do you think of this?

I spoke to a Chinese friend of mine and she gave me two websites that will help Chinese Students find housing in Toronto. They are:
http://www.yorkbbs.ca/
http://51.ca/.

Enjoy!

not sure what standards toronto uses, but a classmate of mine who got Cs on his transcript and often try to free ride other classmates' homework got in this yr... this really drops my impression on U toronto.

but good luck to all you who still hope to get in U toronto! work hard and it will pay off! :)

well, they may have some ways to select among 480 applicants, but from the way interviews and assessments were conducted (admin officer asking technical questions, assessment was done by email at different times and everyone has the same questions etc), I am not impressed that they have a good admission process either, it is just a bit weird and cast my doubt on the reputation of the program

not sure what standards toronto uses, but a classmate of mine who got Cs on his transcript and often try to free ride other classmates' homework got in this yr... this really drops my impression on U toronto.

but good luck to all you who still hope to get in U toronto! work hard and it will pay off! :)
agree, mmf only rank gpa from high to low without considering your school background..... as regards to the interview and assessment, it does not count much in final evaluation....

well, they may have some ways to select among 480 applicants, but from the way interviews and assessments were conducted (admin officer asking technical questions, assessment was done by email at different times and everyone has the same questions etc), I am not impressed that they have a good admission process either, it is just a bit weird and cast my doubt on the reputation of the program

doraton, you deserve some other high-reputation school. once god closed door for u, he would open another better one

well so i guess my gpa is just too low to make the cut, it seems like doing undergraduate again is the only way to get past admission at programs that emphasize on gpa; this is perhaps the difference of admission process at Canadian schools and universities oversea but well I have decided to study in canada so this is my only choice, life must go on no matter what

Back