• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Modeling wages

Hello,

I'm trying to estimate the share of working population by state that's being paid below the minimum wage. I have the following variables:

Working population
Standard error of the working population
Aveage hourly wage
Standard error of the hourly wage
Minimum wage
Hourly wage for the 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th and 90th percentiles

How could I estimate the share of the working population, say that's getting paid less than $10/hour, without having the sample size (I think the latter to calculate the standard deviation of the mean to estimate the cumulative probability function)?

Would it be possible to estimate the distribution using only the four percentile values and assuming a lognormal distribution?

I'm trying to do this in Excel but willing to use R if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back