• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Monte Carlo Greeks: Smoothed Perturbation Analysis help

Hi everybody,

I am trying to derive a gamma estimator using smoothed perturbation analysis (SPA)(Smooth Infinitesimal Perturbation Analysis, smooth pathwise derivative), as discussed briefly in Glassermans [2004] book, page 399-400. I have uploaded the pages I am concerned with.

I am trying to apply it to basket options, in particular a geometric average basket option ( in contrast to arithmetic average).

Essentially the estimator derived is for the delta for a digital call option. But it also works for the Gamma of a European call, with the strike(call option)=discontinuity(digital option).

Looking at photos 1 and 2:
I would have thought that the delta estimator of a european call option is the digital call payoff multiplied by dS(T)/dS(0)=S(T)/S(0) (using chain rule argument, as seen in photo 3)(but Glasserman seems to miss this bit out).
. And then to find the gamma through SPA, you take the second derivative dS(T-epsilon)/dS(0) * d/dS(T-epsilon). But I want to to know formally why you use the digital call payoff, in contrast to the pathwise delta estimator for a european call option when takign the second derivative to find the gamma estimator.

This is important as you have a random variable on the outside of the indicator function, which makes the derivation a fair bit more involved. I have done some long derivations, but none of them are correct( I have tested them out).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
If anybody wants to know, I have solved the computational issue( I am getting the gammas, and stuff correctly, but I still don't understand why my derivation works.

Back