• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS in Mathematics and in Computing Science vs. MFE

Hi All,

I would just like to receive some advise on the following:

I am currently working as an assistant actuary and I would like to transition into quantitative finance. However, even though I satisfy most of the requirements of a junior/entry-level quant, I only have a very basic understanding of programming in C++ and VBA. Hence, since I already have a MS in Mathematics (from NYU), I am planning on applying to the MSc in Computing Science at Imperial College (Info) and was wondering if it that would be more beneficial than an MFE? Do you believe it would be helpful in landing a job or internship?

Also, I have a BS in Accounting and Business Economics with a minor in Mathematics.

It looks kind of general and a lot of CS that is not directly related to Quant. It is too general IMO for your needs.

516 and 517 will be a walk in the park if you have done the Quantnet C++ course, certainly if I look at the topics. AFAIK, no C++ course that I have seen until now has the breadth of QN C++ but I might be wrong.

518 feels very 80s (Prolog??); 501 and 502 are nice to know..

What kind of maths did you do?

My math coursework includes Mathematical Analysis, Probability Theory, Statistics, Stochastic Calculus as well as courses in mathematical finance such as Continuous-Time Finance and PDEs for Finance. My masters thesis was on a mathematical finance topic ("Fractional Brownian Motion and the Associated Stochastic Calculus with Financial Applications").

Also, just in case it matters, I have completed and passed the following actuarial qualifications so far:

Exam P (Topic: Probability)
Exam FM (Topic: Financial Mathematics)
VEE-Economics
VEE-Corporate Finance
VEE-Applied Statistical Methods

VEE stands for "Verification of Educational Experience". The Society of Actuaries uses these to determine if a student has adequate knowledge and understanding in the areas of Economics, Corporate Finance, and Applied Statistical Methods.

Also, the Mathematical Finance courses I have taken while at NYU were the same courses provided by the NYU MS in Mathematical Finance program

I am not expert in this prerequisites MFE area but I reckon that hard numeric/applied maths and C++ skills are certainly useful, and not just in finance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. However, given my huge lack in programming experience, would it be wise for me to enrol into an MFE program? Because I am also considering to apply to Oxford's MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance program.

Also, Are there any other programs you can suggest that would help in enhancing my programming knowledge? Because I have noticed that a lot of quant recruiters are usually looking for people who know SQL and Python as well as C++.

I am open to any program in the US & UK no matter how expensive they may be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. However, given my huge lack in programming experience, would it be wise for me to enrol into an MFE program? Because I am also considering to apply to Oxford's MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance program.

Also, Are there any other programs you can suggest that would help in enhancing my programming knowledge? Because I have noticed that a lot of quant recruiters are usually looking for people who know SQL and Python as well as C++.

I am open to any program in the US & UK no matter how expensive they may be.
You are already taking QN C++?

SQL and Python are nice to have but not on the critical path IMO. You can learn them on the job.

I am an external supervisor at Birmingham and they do C++ as part of the MSc.

Learn programming in any case.

AFAIR if you apply to Baruch or CMU then you need C++?

Good luck!

@dstefan

I was taking the QN C++ course but I was not able to finish it on time due to work. So do you think it would be better for me to just complete the QN C++ as opposed to enrolling in a MS in Computer/Computing Science? Since the program in Imperial includes courses in algorithms and Databases as well as Computational Finance.

I was taking the QN C++ course but I was not able to finish it on time due to work. So do you think it would be better for me to just complete the QN C++ as opposed to enrolling in a MS in Computer/Computing Science? Since the program in Imperial includes courses in algorithms and Databases as well as Computational Finance.
I would finish C++. If you don't do it now you probably never will (tempus fugit etc.)

Back