Ms Stat at UIUC vs MSMF at BU

askarusa

Dear fellows,

I hope you are doing good and will help me to decide to choose a program. I would like to work in the financial industry etc. Please help me.

UIUC has a top CS program no? I would do stats there and take some CS classes. Also in general I'd say MS Stat > MFE/MSMF/whatever if you want HFT/buy-side/hedge fund/algo trading roles, and MFE is better for sell-side.

JAMEHUANG

UIUC has a top CS program no? I would do stats there and take some CS classes. Also in general I'd say MS Stat > MFE/MSMF/whatever if you want HFT/buy-side/hedge fund/algo trading roles, and MFE is better for sell-side.
Could you explain more on the difference? Why stats for buy side whereas mfe for sell side??

Onegin

C++ Student
Could you explain more on the difference? Why stats for buy side whereas mfe for sell side??
Google Meucci P v Q. Buy side more stats oriented, sell side more time series oriented, which they beat to death in most MFEs.

I think there is likely to be more convergence as a lot of bug side shops are getting more concerned w implementation, so I’m not in total agreement with @quantsmodelsbottles.