• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc in AI (Machine Learning spec.) VS Bocconi MAFINRISK

Dear all,
I've been admitted to two different MSc programs and I am writing to ask for your advice in choosing a career path.

First, my motivation in applying for MSc was to improve my chances on becoming a quant researcher/developer. For this I've been admitted to Bocconi's MAFINRISK (Master of Quantitative Finance and Risk Management).
I've also been admitted to University of Amsterdam's MSc Artificial Intelligence program. This program interests me since
1) I read that more and more quant funds start to use AI and machine learning technologies
2) Amsterdam offers a specialization and research opportunities in ML and AI
3) This option offers good differentiation and it seems that job market is growing for AI and ML grads.

Since the competition with UK graduates seems fierce, I am not sure that Bocconi's 10-months degree will lead somewhere. I also read a lot about the overabundance of QF and MFE graduates.

As for my background:
-BS Theoretical Physics and Applied Maths (Russian uni);
-MS Financial Management (same uni);
- internship at investment company sales team here in Russia;
-2 years of quite successful entrepreneurial experience not related to financial industry (+programming experience).

Dear members, I kindly ask you to provide your advices on which program/path should I choose.
-Will AI and ML degree be useful for quant researcher career in bank/hedge fund in Europe?
-Or should I choose Bocconi's MAFINRISK, start with a risk internship in Italy, gain experience and then try to find a place in quant fund?

Thank you for your patience and kind advice!

More important question is what kind of quant you want to be (or more specific, what's your overall goal to start with), in my opinion. I don't know enough to say anything more.

More important question is what kind of quant you want to be (or more specific, what's your overall goal to start with), in my opinion. I don't know enough to say anything more.

tfors, thank you for a fast reply!

In a word, my goal is to become a quantitative trader.
I hope to work for a hedge fund or a “prop shop”, developing algorithmic trading strategies.

My attention to AI program in this aspect is explained by its focus on scientific computing, algorithm development and pattern recognition, which seem more useful for a quant trader than a standard MSc in quantitative finance program curriculum, but of course I might mistake.
What's more, I am not sure if Bocconi’s MAFINRISK reputation worth anything for employers, while Uni of Amsterdam is #77 in Times ranking and seem to have a solid faculty of science.

Back