• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MSOR MSFM Columbia, MFE Baruch, MFE UCB, MSFM Chicago/Singapore Campus

I got admitted by Columbia, Baruch, and Chicago/Singapore, and still waiting for UCB and MSFM in Columbia. I am not sure which program is better, and I'm all ears.

According to the admission officer in UChicago "Both locations (Chicago and Singapore campus) offer the same core courses, taught by the same distinguished instructors. In both locations, our graduates receive degrees from the University of Chicago." However, I really doubt if the quality would be identical and maybe it is not easy for students in Singapore campus to find a job in U.S.

As for Columbia's MSOR program, some people say it is almost the same as its MFE program if you chose the finance concentration, but the courses for these two programs are quite different from where I stand. And I cannot tell the difference between Columbia's MSFM and MFE, so it would be great if someone could share some information.

Moreover, according to the ranking given by QN, the MFE program in Baruch is really strong. However, the college itself is not quite famous (no offence), so I am not quite confident about its quality.

And UCB is very far from New York, so I assume that the it is hard for UCB graduates to get a job in NYC (alumni).

Can someone help me out? Appreciate!

According to the admission officer in UChicago "Both locations (Chicago and Singapore campus) offer the same core courses, taught by the same distinguished instructors. In both locations, our graduates receive degrees from the University of Chicago." However, I really doubt if the quality would be identical and maybe it is not easy for students in Singapore campus to find a job in U.S.

I am also pondering this issue. Firstly it depends on your background, do you reside in the US? If not, then I think it's less likely you can find a job in the US, given the amount of internal competition by taking the program in S'pore.

However if you can return to the US after the degree, and employers do believe the coursework is identical, perhaps it is possible to land a job in the US. But I have a feeling they might have their reservations in regards with your familiarity towards US markets. Or maybe you could get by with just the degree and not even have to mention you studied in S'pore lol

Moreover, according to the ranking given by QN, the MFE program in Baruch is really strong. However, the college itself is not quite famous (no offence), so I am not quite confident about its quality.

Baruch seems to be quite popular when it comes to financial programs. I have no doubts that it has earned it's reputation on the street. But if you have any plans of working outside the US, it might not be where you want to go, given that it's name isn't famous enough. (No offence)

I probably don't even know what I'm talking about, since I myself am currently an MFE candidate. Just trying to share some of my thoughts and hopefully get a discussion going on this matter :)

Last edited:
I am also pondering this issue. Firstly it depends on your background, do you reside in the US? If not, then I think it's less likely you can find a job in the US, given the amount of internal competition by taking the program in S'pore.

However if you can return to the US after the degree, and employers do believe the coursework is identical, perhaps it is possible to land a job in the US. But I have a feeling they might have their reservations in regards with your familiarity towards US markets. Or maybe you could get by with just the degree and not even have to mention you studied in S'pore lol

Baruch seems to be quite popular when it comes to financial programs. I have no doubts that it has earned it's reputation on the street. But if you have any plans of working outside the US, it might not be where you want to go, given that it's name isn't famous enough. (No offence)

I probably don't even know what I'm talking about, since I myself am currently an MFE candidate. Just trying to share some of my thoughts and hopefully get a discussion going on this matter :)
Thanks for your thoughts. :)

I am an international student, I would prefer finding a job in the U.S and working for several years before I go back to Korea. Therefore, if it is not likely to find a job in U.S after graduating from the program in S'pore, I will not chose it no matter how good the program is.

It seems Baruch is not very popular given the number of applicants (515 last year according to QN), which means there are less alumni out there. And since networking is quite important in finance area, it could be a disadvantage. I just assume this based on the information I got, I apologize if it is not correct.

I read some posts in this forum about Columbia's MSOR program, and got even more confused. Some people said MSOR, MSFM and MFE in Columbia "are the same", but others argue MSOR is not even a FE program. I personally really like Columbia University, but if MSOR is regarded as a non-FE program, it is meaningless to me to enroll in.

Last edited:
And UCB is very far from New York, so I assume that the it is hard for UCB graduates to get a job in NYC (alumni).

I don't believe that UCB being in SF hinders your chances of getting a job in NYC (If that is they only city you are really after). Many quant jobs outside the tri-state area. I do know a lot of people from UCB who did their internship and also got an offer from top firms in NYC.

Back