• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

My profile

MS in applied math - (GPA 3.9/4) from california state university Northridge
3 years experience as a programmar analyst (ERP programmer) at a leading financial services company
GRE quant-790 verbal-650
MS in mechanical enginering (GPA 3.61/4.00)
Strong programming background in C++, VBA

I know my profile is not very strong to get admits from top institutions (NYU, columbia,baruch,UIC,UCB). I got admit from Claremont graduate university, which is pretty costly... Infact, thats the only one i applied as of now.. Can anyone please comment on my chances of getting admits from other institutes. Can anyone of you suggest any other institutes from which i can hope to get admits. Waiting for u guys to reply..

Thanks,

Bala

ya, i can move to new york, if i get an admit. any advice on MSFE programs?

Thanks

If you can afford 60K at Claremont, then you should try for better ones out east (if you get admitted, of course).
I don't see you have anything to lose by applying to top programs like Baruch, Columbia, NYU. Most you can lose is the fee, and time preparing for the applications.
Look at the programs in our wiki www.quantnet.com/wiki

MS in applied math - (GPA 3.9/4) from california state university Northridge
3 years experience as a programmar analyst (ERP programmer) at a leading financial services company
GRE quant-790 verbal-650
MS in mechanical enginering (GPA 3.61/4.00)
Strong programming background in C++, VBA

I know my profile is not very strong to get admits from top institutions (NYU, columbia,baruch,UIC,UCB).

I don't think your profile is that terrible for you not to apply to the top programs. As others suggested, apply to other programs (as many as you can).

You have a pretty strong profile. The only thing missing is confidence, which is important if you want to work in financial industry. Apply to the top 10 schools in Financial Engineering. It also helps a lot if school is located at financial center: New York, London, Chicago. Don't waste your time and money on non-established programs.

what are the top 10 MFE programs? there are some other schools like fordham, polytechnic, steven institute of tech. in NY. Are they established?

what are the top 10 MFE programs?
It's subjective.
there are some other schools like fordham, polytechnic, steven institute of tech. in NY. Are they established?
Of the three, Fordham was established FALL 2007. Poly has been around. Not sure about Steven but my guess is 2,3 years old. The oldest ones are Chicago, CMU, UCB, etc.
Even though Baruch is considered a rather young program (established in 2002), it has established a very good name for itself.

Back