• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NC State vs. UNC Charlotte

Which program would be better if I'm from North Carolina and want to get a job at a bank in Charlotte?

I don't know what the conventional wisdom in this community is, so any advice would help. If you'd say neither go to Columbia, that'd be worth knowing too.

these programs tend to be shitty its better to get into the best programs out there
LOL why do you thing NC State is shitty, I mean they are ranked 13th this year, nah? But I honestly looked at the courses they offer, and I wasn't very convinced about they strength of the curriculum, something fishy is going on, they scored 2.2 on peer assessment for a reason I think

LOL why do you thing NC State is shitty, I mean they are ranked 13th this year, nah? But I honestly looked at the courses they offer, and I wasn't very convinced about they strength of the curriculum, something fishy is going on, they scored 2.2 on peer assessment for a reason I think

Are the metrics in the ranking reliable? The only metric that matters to me is employment 3 months out. NC state is reported as 100%, and I"m trying to get a sense of how realistic that is. If it's something comparable to the way law schools report their employment data (completely dishonest), or is it something more concrete.

I don't care about peer assessment. That strikes me as asking banks to rate one another. They all think they're the best, and they can maybe admit that a few others are a little worse than they are. JPM might rank Goldman a 4.5 and Goldman might rank JPM as a 4.4. Then they'll rate Bank of America as a 2. It's fuzzy and doesn't provide a decision point for me. It's noticeable that even though it's out of 5, none of the programs even get close to that top number. Carnegie Mellon is the best peer assessed program at 4.4. I don't know why that is, but I also don't think it's very important why it is. By the same token, sure someone at Princeton might scoff at someone from N.C. State as not serious, but if you have a job who cares.

I don't need to work at Renaissance. I don't need to live in New York or Chicago. I just need a job that's somewhat better than a job I could get with a B.S.

Something that doesn't appear to be included in the ranking table, but is used to determine place in the ranking is "employer survey score." That would matter to me. I haven't seen anywhere that it's provided, but it would be information I'd be interested in.

Dear as for the ranking metrics, this topic has been discussed many times, and I believe in Quantnet team's methodology, as for getting a job, upon graduation, yah man you could do data science that will prob get you a job faster, since the demand for these jobs is very high at the moment.

The peer assessment is important, because in my opinion it gives you a sense on how reliable and rich a school's curriculum is, how comprehensive the courses offered are. I mean dude, getting a degree in FE is all about developing new skills that the industry needs, understanding the theory and it's applications, those skills will require blood, tears and sweat, a good grad school will test the life out of you; and majority of us are here because we LOVE this field, and that's the only way to sustain, the only way to thrive. Good luck to you.

Back