• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need advice: GMAT Quant Score

How important is the GMAT Quant score for MFE programs?
I scored a Q49 but have an overall score of 760. Does the Q49 drastically hamper my chances of getting into a decent program? Most programs do not give a breakup for the GMAT, I am not sure why that is (probably the smaller sample size). Should I consider retaking the test and improve my quant score?

I only took GMAT. Got Q50 and got into a good program.
I believe 48 and above is considered a good score on quant and don't believe your results hampers your chances.

Best of luck with the application
@denabol: Thanks, this is good to know. However, the problem with the GMAT is, Q50 is around 85 %tile and Q49 is all the way down at 74 %tile even though it is possibly just one additional question wrong or a tougher question wrong.
Also, may I ask you which program you got into?

I used GMAT forum as a reference for GMAT scores and it seems that Q48 quant is the lowest for best MBA programs. There was no info about MFE programs that I recall. So, you should take my previous post with a degree of doubt.
But, if I were you I'd focus on making a well-rounded application. DM me if you want to ask anything more!
Columbia MFE

Q48 is ridiculously low (no offense, just being bluntly honest), good enough for a low tier program where basically anyone can get accepted, i.e., programs ranked 20 and even worse. There's quite a difference between Q48 and Q50. You can get Q48 without any practice; I did and I came from a non-quantitative business background. In fact, the time I got Q48, I actually came 5min late for the quant section because I was washing my face and I ended up rushing through the section. For Q50, I actually had to study and learn tricks. If you can get Q50, then getting 170 in Quant GRE is almost a piece of cake. Strangely though, GMAT Quant actually feels more difficult than GRE Quant. I didn't even prepare for GRE Quant, which I got 170. I just used the tricks I learned from GMAT Quant. For Q49, I'm not too sure, but since you got 760 overall, I think you're fine and will get better than just a decent program.

Here's a conversion table btw: (Updated) GRE to GMAT Score Conversion Charts • PrepScholar GRE

Last edited:
FWIW, I got Q49, 770 overall, and am just about to graduate from MIT's program. I did notice a handful of pure FE programs only accepting GRE (but certainly not anywhere close to all).

I would disagree with the above that Q48 is 'ridiculously low'. Can definitely be improved with some practice, but GMAT is just another data point in your application - can definitely be made up through GPA, coursework, experience, and likability. Personally, I think these exams measure your ability to regurgitate mathematical tricks rather than solve problems, but that may just be me.

I would disagree with the above that Q48 is 'ridiculously low'.
I might have exaggerated a bit there with the word "ridiculously," but from what I've seen, a low quant score is very often associated with struggles in a quant program--even low-tier ones. From the link I provided above, let's say Q48 is 166 in GRE quant. I know a guy who got 161 GRE quant and almost perfect GRE verbal who nearly failed stochastic processes--so yes, you can get in a good program but doing well is still another story. I also knew a guy who got 163 GRE quant and really struggled even at a low-tier program.
Can definitely be improved with some practice, but GMAT is just another data point in your application - can definitely be made up through GPA, coursework, experience, and likability.
In kevinabraham's case, I did mention that "since you got 760 overall, I think you're fine and will get better than just a decent program." In addition, I also mentioned that I wasn't sure about Q49, but I do believe there is still some separation between Q48 (roughly 166 quant on GRE based on the link) and Q49 (roughly 167 quant on GRE based on the link)--I wouldn't call Q49 low since I've never gotten it without practice/training and I know friends who got 167 quant in top programs. For Q48, I'd still say definitely, even if it's just a point lower. I really wish the top quant programs released their GMAT data, for any who also accept it.
Personally, I think these exams measure your ability to regurgitate mathematical tricks rather than solve problems, but that may just be me.
If you can't handle the GMAT quant section, I don't know how you would deal with more advanced topics like stochastic processes, stochastic calculus, etc. I've even seen companies ask for standardized test scores (for example, Bridgewater, The DE Shaw Group to name a few). Also, in general, math--even at the IMO/Putnam level--involves some level of regurgitation. You get better at it by learning/memorizing the general tricks/strategies to solve such problems and applying them to lots of problems to get a thorough understanding when to actually apply them (the hard part). How else do you get good at math or even programming assignments on interviews?

Last edited:
I agree the Q48 and Q49 are not synonymous. I've seen guys struggle to get past the Q47 or Q48 mark. I just hope the programs I'm applying to see that as well. And yes, to @devconnolly's point the GMAT is just another data point. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't at a huge disadvantage because of my Quant score.

I agree the Q48 and Q49 are not synonymous. I've seen guys struggle to get past the Q47 or Q48 mark. I just hope the programs I'm applying to see that as well. And yes, to @devconnolly's point the GMAT is just another data point. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't at a huge disadvantage because of my Quant score.
You're NOT at a huge disadvantage--I wouldn't even say you're at disadvantage. Like I said, I think your score even gives you chances at programs better than what you described as "decent." I've seen guys at top quant programs get GRE quant scores towards the lower end of the GRE quant average and really struggle in courses like stochastic processes. Your Q49, as opposed to Q48 which I got once on an officially test with no prior practice, definitely does take some training/practice to get, so I think the programs will recognize that. In addition, your overall GMAT score is definitely M7 caliber, which is not easy to get at all and which I believe that the programs will also recognize the accomplishment. While "GMAT is just another data point," unfortunately it still may affect the rankings so schools still care. Your best bet is possibly to contact the quant programs you're interested in--they might have the statistics but just don't post them because most applicants use GRE. But honestly, I personally wouldn't retake unless absolutely necessary assuming the rest of your application is very good.

You're NOT at a huge disadvantage--I wouldn't even say you're at disadvantage. Like I said, I think your score even gives you chances at programs better than what you described as "decent." I've seen guys at top quant programs get GRE quant scores towards the lower end of the GRE quant average and really struggle in courses like stochastic processes. Your Q49, as opposed to Q48 which I got once on an officially test with no prior practice, definitely does take some training/practice to get, so I think the programs will recognize that. In addition, your overall GMAT score is definitely M7 caliber, which is not easy to get at all and which I believe that the programs will also recognize the accomplishment. While "GMAT is just another data point," unfortunately it still may affect the rankings so schools still care. Your best bet is possibly to contact the quant programs you're interested in--they might have the statistics but just don't post them because most applicants use GRE. But honestly, I personally wouldn't retake unless absolutely necessary assuming the rest of your application is very good.
Thanks Andy. This is definitely helpful.

Back