• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need advice on 3rd LOR

Hello All,
I've been frequently visiting this forum and this is my first post here.

I'm in a bit of a quandary and need your advice. For my three letters of recommendation,
I'll be getting a really good one from my math professor who knows me very well because I aced all his classes (all calc and diff equ classes).
I'll be getting one from a previous employer, who is the owner and the chief engineer of an engineering consulting firm, expressing my strong ability in programming because I did firmware programming for him on many projects.
Now I'm confused about the third letter of recommendation. Should I get the 3rd one from academia or from my current employer? I might be able to get one from a professor who taught a probability and random processes class in which I got an A but I don't think he knows me well, if at all. I can get one from my current supervisor who can talk about my overall ability to think analytically and construct a creative solution to a problem. I don't do any programming at this place, just hardware design.
What do you guys suggest? I've been out of college for a little over 2 years.

Someone who knows you and could say relevant things, rather than general things like ``he got an A in my class" is better. But you could also submit four letters, one being the general one from the professor, acknowledging you got an A in his class.

Back