• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need Advice

Can one enter into Investment Banking after MS in Financial Engineering? Don't want to follow the traditional MBA path.

Why learn stochastic calculus and c++ to work a job that any basic undergrad could do. You’d be wasting thousands of dollars as well and be working tougher hours. You could work under the IB division as a strat, but no point making pitch books after the knowledge you gain from a fe degree.

Thanks for the reply.
What should be my career path if I want to enter IB? MBA degree is the only choice?

Get an MFIN degree at MIT, has quite a few kids (about 1/3rd) who go into banking/consulting. Do a master's in finance, not FE- many schools offer MFin degrees which should be what you're looking for.

MBA is your best option because of the recruiting pipeline. I know two people that got into IB through FE, but I think it was luck and networking mainly

IB pipeline is strictly undergrad or MBA. They 99.99% of the time do not recruit out of pipeline. I wouldn't do MFIN for IB, unless you carry a brand like MIT, and even then you are competing with their undergrads.

Save your money for a targeted MBA.

Back