• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

need an answer.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my Q, but here I go..

I intend to apply for fall 2007.

I have a 3 year undergrad degree in Finance/Commerce and I have studied Capital markets and Investment Management as electives in my undergrad. (I was told that 3 year undergrad degrees leading to 15 yrs of education are accepted at Baruch....please confirm.)

I have studied math at the intermediate level and had covered Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability etc. but haven't taken any math courses at the undergrad level.

Its mentioned in the website that :

"you can take undergraduate level courses in these areas (either at Baruch, or at other schools) during the academic year before the target enrollment date, or you can take some of the refresher courses offered by our department during summer."

---While I would definitely love to take the refresher courses but just to be doubly sure and to enhance my chances of making it to your university, I would also like to take up the undergrad courses at Baruch if they are offered online.

Could you give me more info on what those undergrad courses (math) are and how to go about enrolling for them in your university?

And also...is there any one else with a finance background who hasn't taken math courses at undergrad level?

I'd be grateful for any sort of help....n sorry for the long post. :)

swathiyyy said:
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask my Q, but here I go..
This is the perfect place to ask this kind of questions. The moderators will move your topic to the appropriate forum if it's not.
swathiyyy said:
I intend to apply for fall 2007. I have a 3 year undergrad degree in Finance/Commerce and I have studied Capital markets and Investment Management as electives in my undergrad. (I was told that 3 year undergrad degrees leading to 15 yrs of education are accepted at Baruch....please confirm.)
You will need to check with Cathy about this. Here is the links I found regarding 3-year degree from India and admission at Baruch.
http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/admissions/grad/faqs/mba-and-ms-miscellaneous-information
Even though the info is from Zicklin school of business, most answers pertain to any foreign student.
Here is another link with lot of information http://www.degree.com/articles/3-year-indian-degree.html
swathiyyy said:
I have studied math at the intermediate level and had covered Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability etc. but haven't taken any math courses at the undergrad level.
Its mentioned in the website that :
"you can take undergraduate level courses in these areas (either at Baruch, or at other schools) during the academic year before the target enrollment date, or you can take some of the refresher courses offered by our department during summer."
---While I would definitely love to take the refresher courses but just to be doubly sure and to enhance my chances of making it to your university, I would also like to take up the undergrad courses at Baruch if they are offered online.
Could you give me more info on what those undergrad courses (math) are and how to go about enrolling for them in your university?
While I'm not familiar with the education system in India and can't comment on your courses, I think it's always a good idea to take more than what is required.
Baruch does not offer any of those courses online. Also, in order to take any of the class at Baruch, you have to be accepted into the program and got all the paper needed for international students.
So your best bet is to take the requirement courses at any of the IITs in India. It's much cheaper and provides you with the same level of preparation (I assume)
swathiyyy said:
And also...is there any one else with a finance background who hasn't taken math courses at undergrad level?
There are few students that major in Finance. Most of them will take the refresher summer courses.

Back