• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need help deciding between MFin and MFE courses.

Hello, I am a fourth year undergrad at reputed tech university in India. I am enrolled in a 5 year dual degree course with a B.Tech in Mining Engineering and M.Tech in Entrepreneurship and Finance. I basically entered college with a blank canvas with respect to what I wanted to do in the future. Extensively studied machine learning and artificial intelligence in the first 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Finance caught my eye in my third year and I just cleared my CFA L1 exam. I have a few questions regarding which degrees I should choose to further my prospects in the industry:

1. The main query is whether I should pursue a Masters in Finance or a Masters in Financial Engineering/ Computational Finance/ Mathematical Finance. I have a very brief idea of the curriculum of the 2 courses and I feel MFin complements my CFA better. I have no problems going into IB or related field and I enjoy networking and everything else that comes with IB. But at the same time I don’t want to loose my background in tech too, I enjoy making models and programming but I do not want to be stuck in a cubicle job (which is my worst nightmare).

2. Which of the 2 courses has on a average a better starting package right out of the gate? Which one gives opportunities to scale your career better in the long term? I have read that to make senior quant positions, PHDs are preferred and I don’t think I will be pursuing any further education.

3. Which universities are the best for these 2 degrees in both US and Europe? I am not biased towards either one but over time I am looking to work in Europe. I am also looking for courses that are strictly less than 15 months which I feel most are. A better course in my mind is the one that has a campus placement program or equivalent, places students in better companies with higher pay and has a very comprehensive curriculum.

4. What is the current demand for both degrees in US as well as Europe? I feel there are some regional differences and I found very bleak answers online. I would be great if anyone could shed some light on it.

Thank you in advance for all your help and I’m sorry if some of my assumptions/perspectives are wrong, please feel free to correct them!

Understand the industry better. Read some books and network with industry professionals. Once you will get to know their day-to-day activities, you’ll be able to see the real picture. MFE vs MFin cannot be decided based on the desired work location, or higher pay package. You must understand your career goals before applying. If you are good at what you do, you'll eventually be able to get an opportunity anywhere in the world.

MFin is a Europe thing, if you see the FT rankings (LBS, HEC are on the top). Whereas MFE is better to do in the US.

Last edited:
Back