• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

.NET 4.0 vs .NET 3.5

Hello everybody!

Could anyone possibly explain the main difference between and .NET 4 and .NET 3.5. What important features is there added and its advantages over .NET 3.5. From the mathematical point of view would be ok.

Thanks

so the limit is not 25 total threads anymore?

so the limit is not 25 total threads anymore?
Changing the default limit of 25 threads of Thread
LOL
What original limit ;)

Anyway... for .NET 4.0: The Managed Thread Pool
Not so clear what the default is, but I suspect it's higher.
Maximum Number of Thread Pool Threads

The number of operations that can be queued to the thread pool is limited only by available memory; however, the thread pool limits the number of threads that can be active in the process simultaneously. Beginning with the .NET Framework version 4, the default size of the thread pool for a process depends on several factors, such as the size of the virtual address space. A process can call the GetMaxThreads method to determine the number of threads.
You can control the maximum number of threads by using the GetMaxThreads and SetMaxThreads methods.

Tons of them:

- New security model from SL
- Covariance and contravariance for interfaces (was here previously for delegates)
- Lock free data structures and few more synchronization primitives
- Thread pool improvements = multiple queues + work stealing
- Optional and named parameters
- Huge (!!!) interop improvements with embedded types and dynamic binding
- event synchronization
- various BCL changes

Hello everybody!

Could anyone possibly explain the main difference between and .NET 4 and .NET 3.5. What important features is there added and its advantages over .NET 3.5. From the mathematical point of view would be ok.

Thanks

Bigger numbers look better on a resume. ;)

Not so clear what the default is, but I suspect it's higher.

Unless this is explicitly mentioned somewhere, I will still think that the default is 25 threads. This problem hit a group close to my business area in the past.

Well, I suspect it is higher because of this sentence:
Beginning with the .NET Framework version 4, the default size of the thread pool for a process depends on several factors, such as the size of the virtual address space.
Since it's beginning with .NET 4.0, something must of changed... probably for the better :P

Either way, one could and still can override this manual limit.

in the past, overriding that limit was not that obvious. Maybe it's easier in V4.0

good, but that's FAR from obvious. Also, as soon as I saw COM objects, I stopped reading.

I don't hate it. I have a healthy dislike but, if you would've worked with COM in the 90's, you will hate it too.

Back