• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

new BU math fin curriculum

I just got my BU acceptance package in the mail and saw that BU is coming out with a new curriculum for Fall 2010. This info is not yet updated on their website so I just wanna share it with you guys. The main difference between the old and new curriculum is that the program is now 16-month long with 48 credits instead of 40 credits. This means that the program will start in Fall 2010 and end at the end of Fall 2011, instead of ending in Summer 2011, thus giving the students an opportunity to do internship. They also added a few new courses not mentioned on their current website. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools I applied to but it looks like BU is putting in the effort to improve their math fin program. Hope you guys find this post informational!

I am also applying to BU

Hi Joe, I am also applying to BU and found your posts very helpful. Thanks for the information about having to pay to 'hold your place' and the short interview and decision process.

I do note some curious things about the program. The fact that there is a new curriculum means entering students will be guinea pigs. The 3 deadlines they have make it seem like one should apply to the program on the last deadline, so that all other options are known and a decision can be made. I took a look at the old curriculum (that's the only one they post online) and the 1st semester seems entirely introductory, compare it with Cornell and Baruch and I note that the courses BU teach in the 1st semester are required prereqs for those programs. I am concerned about being behind other MFE programs for 1/3 of the curriculum. I'm not sure if they would just give me credit for those classes and let me take their MBA courses instead.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has any info about the quality of the BU classes, their internship placements and their employment stats.

Back