• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New GRE vs old GRE

Lin

Hi All,

I'll be reapplying to most of the quant programs with my current GRE score 800/650(cant get that up any higher so working on my profile)
Anyway, with the new GRE coming this August, there might be quite a few applicants who have taken the new test.

How would the colleges comapre the two?..would I be at a disadvantege?
imo..if the math is harder on the new test, they would def prefer they new test.

Thanks

Actually, I think you are at a advantage. Don't expect a lot of 800 in the new test. It will take couple of years before people start acing it. Just look at the historical data of the current GRE.
and 650 is really good too. What was your AWA?

Actually, I think you are at a advantage. Don't expect a lot of 800 in the new test. It will take couple of years before people start acing it. Just look at the historical data of the current GRE.
and 650 is really good too. What was your AWA?

my AWA is 4.5 + my acads are a bit on the lower side..

I think if you decide to retake it, it will be a complete waste of time. There are other parts that are much more important ( GPA, experience, rec. letters, SOP).
Your score is above average for every school. I don't even think schools know that there is a new GRE, lol. Plus, if you take the new GRE, the scores will ready in November and not before (I think).
That's just my opinion, wait for more opinions from people who are more familiar with this.

I think if you decide to retake it, it will be a complete waste of time. There are other parts that are much more important ( GPA, experience, rec. letters, SOP).
Your score is above average for every school. I don't even think schools know that there is a new GRE, lol. Plus, if you take the new GRE, the scores will ready in November and not before (I think).
That's just my opinion, wait for more opinions from people who are more familiar with this.

lol..i def wont be retaking the test..what I would luv to know is how my score would compare to the new one and how will collgees perceive the two..
coz from what i heard they are makin the math section more challeging..about time :) and that has been the biggest complaint about the current format especially for quant courses..that its not hard enuf..

The new GRE won't use a 800 scale so initially, there will be some confusion among admission people on how to calibrate between the two scores. As GRE score is valid for 5 years, the problem will be around for a while.
I'm curious about the new test myself and most likely will take it just to see how hard the math section is.

Back