• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Numeraire: Prices under different numeraires

Pg 386 Steven Shreve Book 2: Stochastic Calculus: Continuous-Time Models

There is a matrix (4 X3 matraix) for the following three instruments (column headings):
  • Domestic Money market
  • Stock
  • Foreign Money market
The rows headers are the following:
  • Domestic currency
  • Domestic Money market
  • Foreign currency
  • Foreign money market
Take row 1: header Domestic currency: it has the following three values under each of the column
  • M(t): This is an instrument which yields certain rate of interest compounded continuously
  • S(t): This is the stock price of an asset
  • M^(f)(t).Q(t): This the price of foreign (non local) money market instrument converted to local currency using an exchange process Q(t). I am saying Q(t) is a direct quote, i.e., for a fixed unit of foreign currency the local currency is variable.
Take row2: Take row (1) and divide the instrument by M(t) or in other words, multiply the instrument by D(t)

My question is how do I read/interpret the titles Domestic Money Market vs Domestic Currency? How are these different? What does it add or takeaway from row 1?

I have written my notes, but this is not somethin I have grasped.

Kindly guide/provide a link where these topics are discussed.

Once I am convinced, I have a follow-up question on row 3 and 4 ( I might post it as a different question)

Thank you

Back