• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Courant - Mathematics in Finance Master's Program

"....A few students got highly demanding quant positions."

Can someone put more light into this? what makes the quant job more demanding? what are such jobs? will it be more buy side focused?

Attachments

• nyu.jpeg
    nyu.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 126
"....A few students got highly demanding quant positions."

Can someone put more light into this? what makes the quant job more demanding? what are such jobs? will it be more buy side focused?
Jane Street, D.E. Shaw - buy side
MSSM

Can anyone let me know of the actual cost of tuition + health insurance for NYU's MathFin program for Fall 2013 ?

Does anyone have idea of how non-math background(pure finance with some statistics) people would get access into such a program? Thanks a lot in advance.

lol my roomie is a finance major from RUC
most of us are math or other quantitative majors like EE/physics. finance majors are the minority :p

lol my roomie is a finance major from RUC
most of us are math or other quantitative majors like EE/physics. finance majors are the minority :p
Thanks a lot, Lyn. What do you think is the major advantage/unique thing making your roommate become the qualified candidate? High GPA? High GRE? Or anything else. I think NYU MathFin is really a selective one. So people going there are really outstanding. :)

I think she has both, plus good internship experience. next year we're gonna do interviews probably. so if u want to apply, get prepared for that also lol

I think she has both, plus good internship experience. next year we're gonna do interviews probably. so if u want to apply, get prepared for that also lol
Thanks for your reply, Lyn. I'm trying to get a good GRE first. Hope we can be in touch. Do you think when applying for other schools (other than Baruch), a C++ certificate from Baruch would be enough to compensate for my lack of programming exposure?

i havent tried but i think that would help, at least better than no proof of ur coding skills

Thanks for your reply, Lyn. I'm trying to get a good GRE first. Hope we can be in touch. Do you think when applying for other schools (other than Baruch), a C++ certificate from Baruch would be enough to compensate for my lack of programming exposure?

kevin - I got admitted to the program with a science major/no coding background, so a major in maths or strong coding background isn't a must by any means (though I am sure it would be very helpful).

kevin - I got admitted to the program with a science major/no coding background, so a major in maths or strong coding background isn't a must by any means (though I am sure it would be very helpful).
Then I suppose you had a few programming classes taken? Yes I know it's not required, but I just want to get a better view of the backgrounds of people who got access of this MFE/MSQF.
Thank you very much.

I also got admitted into this program without coding experience. So you don't really need to worry too much about it. My experience is that NYU is not as selective as before right now and i heared that the placement last year is not good.

Then I suppose you had a few programming classes taken? Yes I know it's not required, but I just want to get a better view of the backgrounds of people who got access of this MFE/MSQF.
Thank you very much.
None at all.

I also got admitted into this program without coding experience. So you don't really need to worry too much about it. My experience is that NYU is not as selective as before right now and i heared that the placement last year is not good.

NYU accepted around 8% last year, so how is it not as selective as before? I do wish they published their placement reports like other schools-probably a bad sign.

I wonder how NYU fares against columbia FE. The latter seems more quantitatively rigorous, but the FE students are also competing against the dozen other columbia programs for the same jobs. They all share the same job board while the MBA students have their own job postings that FE students don't have access to. So a structural disadvantage in that regard.

my overaal cgpa is 2.7.can I get admission in MS mathematics in finance by getting very good marks in gre ?

NYU accepted around 8% last year, so how is it not as selective as before? I do wish they published their placement reports like other schools-probably a bad sign.

I wonder how NYU fares against columbia FE. The latter seems more quantitatively rigorous, but the FE students are also competing against the dozen other columbia programs for the same jobs. They all share the same job board while the MBA students have their own job postings that FE students don't have access to. So a structural disadvantage in that regard.

Loads of BS.
BS#1: "dozen other columbia programs for the same jobs." Count them (1, 2, 3, ..., 12).
BS#2: "they share the same job board" -- they don't. each program has its own career person. The university career services focus on undergrads. that's why most graduate programs need to have their own career people.
BS#3: "NYU accepted around 8%" -- did you just compute this based on the number of students in the program divided by the total number of applications? So they have a 100% acceptance rate (i.e. every student who received an offer accepted it)? Please educate us.

Back