• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Courant Mathematics in Finance

Hi, I am comparing Columbia MFE and NYU Math in Fin. I tried finding out the placement statistics and information related to it but couldn't, can anyone please help? Also I am interested in pursuing a trading/quantitative research/high frequency trading role after masters, which is better from that perspective?

Maybe someone can confirm if this has changed or not, but from my research NYU Math Fin uses a lot of Java in lieu of C++, which seems like a downside of the program to me, as most serious mid-high frequency firms are using C++ in production. That being said, the choice of language probably isn't the biggest issue, so I'm interested to see some other differentiating factors as well.

Maybe someone can confirm if this has changed or not, but from my research NYU Math Fin uses a lot of Java in lieu of C++, which seems like a downside of the program to me, as most serious mid-high frequency firms are using C++ in production. That being said, the choice of language probably isn't the biggest issue, so I'm interested to see some other differentiating factors as well.

For HFT I would pick a program with good buy side placement. Are there any statistics on that in particular? The data isn’t hard to gather if the schools publish companies of alumni but maybe someone has done it already

For HFT I would pick a program with good buy side placement. Are there any statistics on that in particular? The data isn’t hard to gather if the schools publish companies of alumni but maybe someone has done it already

Definitely a few big players in the placement stats for Columbia.

Don't see a similar list for NYU program with some light searching, but doesn't necessarily say anything about placement itself.
All I found is "Our placement statistics are very strong. In recent years about 3/4 of our full-time students had jobs lined up before they graduated, and virtually all the rest found jobs within a few months of graduation. Moreover the quality of our placements is very high -- our students find challenging and rewarding quantitative positions with top firms. "

Edit: some notable buy side people on alumni page for NYU Alumni Association

Can probably get some insight from trawling LinkedIn..

Definitely a few big players in the placement stats for Columbia.

Don't see a similar list for NYU program with some light searching, but doesn't necessarily say anything about placement itself.
All I found is "Our placement statistics are very strong. In recent years about 3/4 of our full-time students had jobs lined up before they graduated, and virtually all the rest found jobs within a few months of graduation. Moreover the quality of our placements is very high -- our students find challenging and rewarding quantitative positions with top firms. "

Edit: some notable buy side people on alumni page for NYU Alumni Association

Can probably get some insight from trawling LinkedIn..

I also think there are other options beyond MFE too. NYU has a very good CS/data science program which I would look into as well

Back