• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Courant vs Columbia MAFN

I received an offer from NYU Courant in February and recently from Columbia MAFN as well. I gravitate toward math-heavy programs. I have coding experience but I don't particularly enjoy coding. I hope to work as a buy-side entry level quant researcher position after graduation. Which program would be a better choice?

The NYU Courant program is definitely math-intensive, maybe more than other programs. I encourage you to choose us. But expect to do a lot of coding both in our program as well as in your quant job afterward.

I would go to Courant if these were my two choices. One could make a solid argument that Courant has the best faculty + curriculum combo out of every program listed here on QuantNet. I have them pretty equal with Columbia MFE, CMU, and Baruch in my personal opinion (what you want out of a career and small preferences will ultimately decide which of these 4 you pick). As I said, if it were me, I would pick Courant and look forward to the data science/machine learning courses from Kolm, Ritter, and Dimov. I'm happy with the decision I made, but I would've been just as content if I decided on NYU as well.

This is not exhaustive, but just some of my thoughts as a future student as well.

Congrats and good luck!

Last edited:
I received an offer from NYU Courant in February and recently from Columbia MAFN as well. I gravitate toward math-heavy programs. I have coding experience but I don't particularly enjoy coding. I hope to work as a buy-side entry level quant researcher position after graduation. Which program would be a better choice?
Of course courant. The peer assessment is very high for courant, the quality of the math courses in courant is unbelievale.

Last edited:
Back