• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Finmath/Chicago/Gatech/Tandon

Courant or Gatech?

• Courant

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Gatech

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
Recently I’ve been admitted to Chicago, Courant, Gatech and Tandon. I am struggling between Courant and Gatech. I am planning to work in the US after graduation and go back to China for the long term if there is a good offer.
Courant
Pros:
1. More opportunities in NYC
2. The name of Courant
3. Networking resources
4. Better job positions (more in quant and trading)
Cons:
1. More competitors
2. Worse placement rate. Only 75% of the latest graduates secured a job within three months of graduation and I don’t know how many of them got a job in the US. For summer 2020, only 35% got an internship opportunity by last week.
Gatech
Pros:
1. Better career service and placement rate. Almost everyone got a job in the US (around 95%). 75% for summer 2020.
2. Planning to start in Spring 2021 and complete the program within two years (I’m thinking about getting a dual degree in CSE). The economy will have more time to recover.
3. Less competitors and QCF is the best in GA and even the South.
Cons:
1. Less famous than NYU Courant.
2. Worse job positions (20% in risk management, less trading)
3. Worse location. Most landed in Atlanta and there’s only a little chance to get a job in cities like New York.
Please give me some advices and correct me if I’m wrong.
Also, I’m waitlisted by Columbia MFE. How should I choose if admitted? (Although the chance is very low)

Recently I’ve been admitted to Chicago, Courant, Gatech and Tandon. I am struggling between Courant and Gatech. I am planning to work in the US after graduation and go back to China for the long term if there is a good offer.
Courant
Pros:
1. More opportunities in NYC
2. The name of Courant
3. Networking resources
4. Better job positions (more in quant and trading)
Cons:
1. More competitors
2. Worse placement rate. Only 75% of the latest graduates secured a job within three months of graduation and I don’t know how many of them got a job in the US. For summer 2020, only 35% got an internship opportunity by last week.
Gatech
Pros:
1. Better career service and placement rate. Almost everyone got a job in the US (around 95%). 75% for summer 2020.
2. Planning to start in Spring 2021 and complete the program within two years (I’m thinking about getting a dual degree in CSE). The economy will have more time to recover.
3. Less competitors and QCF is the best in GA and even the South.
Cons:
1. Less famous than NYU Courant.
2. Worse job positions (20% in risk management, less trading)
3. Worse location. Most landed in Atlanta and there’s only a little chance to get a job in cities like New York.
Please give me some advices and correct me if I’m wrong.
Also, I’m waitlisted by Columbia MFE. How should I choose if admitted? (Although the chance is very low)
How do you know only 35% got summer internships for courant

Although I am from Gatech, I vote for Courant, it's No brainer.
I think the low employment rate of the courant only because most jobs in NYU were canceled and a lot of students give up job hunting after the outbreak of COVID. I cannot imagine quant job market in NY will shrink that much.
In the worst case, you can compete with Gatech and try to find an intern in Atlanta.
My team(Branch of BB quant team in Atlanta) does hire from QCF constantly, but the only reason was not a lot of students from other prestigious programs are in our pools. In general, we will definitely choose Courant over QCF.
Actually we hire someone from CMU for summer intern role this year rather than the other 6 candidates from QCF.

Although I am from Gatech, I vote for Courant, it's No brainer.
I think the low employment rate of the courant only because most jobs in NYU were canceled and a lot of students give up job hunting after the outbreak of COVID. I cannot imagine quant job market in NY will shrink that much.
In the worst case, you can compete with Gatech and try to find an intern in Atlanta.
My team(Branch of BB quant team in Atlanta) does hire from QCF constantly, but the only reason was not a lot of students from other prestigious programs are in our pools. In general, we will definitely choose Courant over QCF.
Actually we hire someone from CMU for summer intern role this year rather than the other 6 candidates from QCF.
Thanks for your reply! I think the career service of Courant is also a reason why the placement rate dropped so much, considering that CMU still has a high placement rate in such a situation. But finding a job in other cities might be a choice haha.

Last edited:
Back