• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Math Finance in Hong Kong

Hi guys. I received NYU Mathfin admission @Courant.

But I have some questions about this program and whether it has a very high reputation in Hong Kong like other top MFE programs like Columbia.

Also, The math finance program at NYU has a Java course. Is it useful for quant?

btw, Is it a good alternative plan to do research in the summer if cannot find the proper internship?

Java in general is used in quant. Personally, I see more interest in C#, Python and C++. My own limited advice is that these languages have better longevity.

Caveat: I don't move in Java circles. Take my remarks with a spoonful of salt.

For mathsy kind of finance, C++ is more appropriate. But there are many variants.

Last edited:
Java in general is used in quant. Personally, I see more interest in C#, Python and C++. My own limited advice is that these languages have better longevity.

Caveat: I don't move in Java circles. Take my remarks with a spoonful of salt.

For mathsy kind of finance, C++ is more appropriate. But there are many variants.
Thank you for your advice

Hi guys. I received NYU Mathfin admission @Courant.

But I have some questions about this program and whether it has a very high reputation in Hong Kong like other top MFE programs like Columbia.

Also, The math finance program at NYU has a Java course. Is it useful for quant?
I think you do not need to worry about HK but CHN. For example, few people knows Baruch in CHN which I deem it ridiculous. Just like few people in a country know Morgan Stanley or Goldman Sachs.

HK is an interesting place. If you aim at ibanks or foreign large funds, they value your ability and attitude more. The better the firm, the more tolerant. NYU is an excellent school, HK like US school graduates, good personality, as well as your ability to tackle with problems. Enjoy your study in NYU. I am in HK btw.

btw, Is it a good alternative plan to do research in the summer if cannot find the proper internship?

The term "proper internship" is highly subjective. My understanding of a proper internship in this context is getting an internship at a bulge bracket firm or a large hedge fund. If you fail to land an internship at any quant firm, another option could be applying for an internship in a quantitative role at a major tech company like Google, etc. However, I would advise that you prepare yourself adequately to land an internship. It's an invaluable experience.

Note: Internships can be a pathway to getting a full-time offer, alleviating the stress of getting a job after graduation.

Alternatively,

Doing research in the summer is excellent. You must ensure that your research is relevant and industry-focused; that way, it's a good use of your time.

I wish you the best.

Back