• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF NYU Part-time "placement" question

Dear All, I would like to get your opinion on how useful to get a NYU Math finance Part-time
degree?

There is no career support for PT students at all, but it does not matter since many other programs
(like Columbia MAFN, Chicago MSMF) don't have much strong career support too according to the reviews on the quantnet....

My question is, when I go to job Market, will this PT degree from NYU help me to get a reasonable job? (in other words, it will give me similar competence compared to others from Columbia or Chicago)? Many Thanks!

Part-time program is ideal for people who already have a job in finance and want to update their skills. The full-time program is a more appropriate choice if you want to break in.
NYU program has a lot of practitioners on their teaching staff so the stuff is relevance. If you get a chance to get an interview, you should be able to prove your competency.
The question is do you get a chance and can you interview well. I can't answer this for you.

Thanks. Andy. The problem is many full time programs do not give enough career support. Therefor, unless they have excellent placement rate like UCB (100% as fas as I know from their website) or top brand name, I won't quit my current non-finance job. Just too risky......

I just hope NYU's brand name can give me more interview chances....(the rest then will rely on myself). I believe most of MSMF program can prepare anyone well for an interview...

Do you agree this? ( in term of getting more interview opportunities )

NYU Full time > NYU PT == Columbia MAFN or Chicago MSMF ? > other non-top 5 programs...

Therefor, unless they have excellent placement rate like UCB (100% as fas as I know from their website)
Where did you see UCB's 100% placement?
I believe most of MSMF program can prepare anyone well for an interview...
Most is a very strong statement and one I don't see lot of supporting evidence.
NYU Full time > NYU PT == Columbia MAFN or Chicago MSMF ? > other non-top 5 programs...
I'm not doing this. You should make a comparison yourself based on your research.
If you don't quit your job, your choice is limited to where you live.

1) Here is placement report for UCB
http://mfe.berkeley.edu/careers/placement.html

2) Most - means the material for interview are well covered in most courses. (I knew a few people just study Shreve + Hull + interview books to crack interview) For example, I don't think you will learn less from Rutgers MSMF than Columbia MAFN or even MFE, in term of preparing for an interview)

3) I live in NJ/NY area, so the location is good enough for any part time study from top MFE study in the area.
Sure, I may alo quit my job for programs in other areas, but it is only for programs with brand name such as Oxford, MIT, Berkley)

The only disadvantage for PT which I know is lack of intern opportunity..(especially for international students, I don't have OPT anymore, even for full time)Beyond this, I can not make any comparison between NYU PT vs. NYU FT and other program. This is
why I want to get others' opinions.

You are looking at internship placement. The full-time placement is more important
For example, http://mfe.berkeley.edu/careers/placement2010.html

Why don't you visit the local programs and get a feel for each of them? Then make your short-list of programs to apply to, and then decide when you get into some of them.
I have a feeling you are not approaching this from the right angle.

98.3% for full time...which is still good enough :)

Well, in my particular situation, (no OPT, no Green card =no intern), I can only apply for full time job position with visa sponsorship which adds additional difficulty and complexity to my case in the current mkt. Then CMU, BARUCH's excellent placement (typically w/ intern + return offer) won't help me much to find a job in USA in my case.

Anyway, return to the topic, what I know is number of NYU PT students (~100?) will attend the same class with other FT students
(~35), so I ensure they all will receive same quality of education(to be able to handle the interview questions...)

In summary, my question is very simple:
Without considering school's direct career support, does the name of NYU on my resume will give me same chance to get an interview compared to others with MAFN or MSOR or CMU or BARUCH on their resume ??

98.3% for full time...which is still good enough :)

Well, in my particular situation, (no OPT, no Green card =no intern), I can only apply for full time job position with visa sponsorship which adds additional difficulty and complexity to my case in the current mkt. Then CMU, BARUCH's excellent placement (typically w/ intern + return offer) won't help me much to find a job in USA in my case.

Anyway, return to the topic, what I know is number of NYU PT students (~100?) will attend the same class with other FT students
(~35), so I ensure they all will receive same quality of education(to be able to handle the interview questions...)

In summary, my question is very simple:
Without considering school's direct career support, does the name of NYU on my resume will give me same chance to get an interview compared to others with MAFN or MSOR or CMU or BARUCH on their resume ??
NYU Courant is a very reputable institution (at least in NYC). Why don't you start as a part time student and just before you are about to finish transfer to full time. I believe you will get all the benefits...

NYU Courant is a very reputable institution (at least in NYC). Why don't you start as a part time student and just before you are about to finish transfer to full time. I believe you will get all the benefits...
Roni, NYU's part time program is the exact same as full time as far as taking classes goes, but there are no placement services. The full time program is the harder one to get into and so their policy is: you can switch from full time to part time at any time, but not the other way around.

Yes, NYU do not permit any transfer from part time to full time since it is much harder to get into full time (admit only ~35 students/each year?).

well, i guess the total number may be still less than Columbia's (MFE+MSOR+MAFN+ Statistics) .......

Dear All, I would like to get your opinion on how useful to get a NYU Math finance Part-time
degree?

There is no career support for PT students at all, but it does not matter since many other programs
(like Columbia MAFN, Chicago MSMF) don't have much strong career support too according to the reviews on the quantnet....

My question is, when I go to job Market, will this PT degree from NYU help me to get a reasonable job? (in other words, it will give me similar competence compared to others from Columbia or Chicago)? Many Thanks!

The part time students already have a job. So, per se they do not need any support to break in the finance world. But, the degree would not say that you completed the program part time and there is no restriction on number of courses you can take per semester as part time. The degree requirements are same for full time and part time students.

If you are a career changer you should try to get into program full time. Without the program support you will not get the kind of break you are seeking and so it defeats the purpose of your Math Finance degree. BUT, if you are great at networking then being in NY and having the Courant degree/name will take you a long way. I know of people from program who got the kind of jobs they were seeking not through the placement service but only through networking.

I know of people from program who got the kind of jobs they were seeking not through the placement service but only through networking.
This can be said about just any program. This highlights the fact that the students are just as important as the programs in finding jobs. It's also interesting to note that programs are beginning to recognize this fact and try to build a more diversified student body and not rely on their 90% intake from fresh Chinese/Indian applicants anymore.

When you have a single ethic group of students who hang among themselves, it is not a good way to attract more domestic students, potential employers and industry partners.

I don't necessarily agree to this. You school's reputation will get your networking task half easier.
We may refer to "networking" differently. I refer to it as an act of going out, meeting people in the industry and building contacts, getting your name known.
As long as you study in a program located in or near a big financial center (NYC, Chicago, Boston), then just hit the street and make your mark.

What do you mean "school's reputation will get your networking task half easier"?

I heard when hr receive thousand resumes and they just browse your school name, something like non ivy schools --> trash can, ivy school or nyu, -->may keep checking. That is my understand about reputation...... Get you an interview at least.....

Networking is another thing... If someone insider can refer you, then the school really doesn't matter....you will get interview...

Back