• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MSMF NYU-Poly: New center tackles finance issues and risks

by Rhoen Prusse-Adams
Published September 18, 2009

The Polytechnic Institute of NYU has been actively trying to improve the economic situation, notably through its participation in a business incubator designed to stimulate innovation and entrepreneurship in New York City.

Recently NYU-Poly announced the dedication of the Gerstein Fisher Research Center for Finance and Risk Engineering, an initiative that focuses on pioneering research that addresses important, real-world financial issues and risks.

"This center, unlike other centers, is special because it focuses on personal finance; not only financial markets and issues for banks and financial institutions, but includes the individual," said Charles Tapiero, head of the finance and risk engineering department .

Although Tapiero was originally named director of the center, he said he resigned from the position Sept. 15 for "personal reasons" and the new director has not been named yet.

Tapiero said NYU Poly was a good fit to house the center.

"Technology is a bridge between science and reality," he said. "Financial engineering is what we do at Poly; this is not what other people do. We are much more embedded."

According to Tapiero, both faculty and students will be able to participate in research at the center.

However, Tapiero said the program is short on faculty and lacks certain resources. He said the program hopes to accomplish a lot this semester, but much depends on their resources.

"If we have money, we will be able to do more," Tapiero said. "We have almost no faculty, so we need faculty and resources."

Qi Wang, an NYU-Poly graduate student in the class of 2011, said he is excited about the center and believes its location outside of Manhattan can prove to be an advantage.

"Different financial surroundings may be needed by the finance and risk engineering research," Wang said.

Although Wang said the premise of the new research center does not align with his area of study at NYU Poly, he looks forward to the center's impact on the school.

"Something new may be generated after this expansion because Poly has a new voice," Wang said.

New center tackles finance issues and risks | nyunews.com

Hi All, I just wanted to know that how the course MSFE and Risk Analysis is in NYU Poly currently, faculty-placement-location i mean ? I just wanted to be assured before applying to the University.I always had mixed reactions from people so this is the best platform to confirm.

Great Thanks in advance.

@vds: There is no Financial Engineering and Risk Analysis program at Poly.. There is just a Financial Engineering program. Also, there is a Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Regarding, Poly NYU's MSFE program, go through the forum, it has been extensively discussed on Quantnet.

Hi All, I just wanted to know that how the course MSFE and Risk Analysis is in NYU Poly currently, faculty-placement-location i mean ? I just wanted to be assured before applying to the University.I always had mixed reactions from people so this is the best platform to confirm.

Great Thanks in advance.

Faculty: People - Finance and Risk Engineering | NYU-Poly
Placement : Call and ask them. Nothing is available online that is official from the university I think.

Back