• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU POLY review?

NYU poly MSFE is said to be the largest FE course in terms of no. of students.
Then how come no review here on quantnet?
Poly seniors???

The FRE department at NYU-Poly is a close-knit community where almost everyone knows everyone despite the large number of students enrolled in the program. 70% to 75% of the students are international students from China, India and other countries. The professors contribute greatly to students' learnings. The FRE professors at NYU-Poly published the most number of papers and publications in the topics of Financial Engineering. Many of the professors had also published books. Professor Nassim Taleb is the author of the best-selling books, "Fooled by Randomness" and "The Black Swan". Professors also devote their time to guide students with researches and projects. Many of professors also bring professional experiences to the lectures. There are also programs and guest-spearker lecture series that allow the students to network and learn insights from important people from the industry such as Professor Myron Scholes and other CFO/CEOs from major financial companies. The department offers M.S. in Financial Engineering and number of certificates. There are 4 major tracks which students can take: 1. Newly added Actuary Track; 2. Computation Finance Track; 3. Finance Market Track; and 4. Technology in Finance Track. The core courses involve quantitative methods in finance, risk pricing, corporate finance, financial accounting, and economics. Students get to take courses in the Brooklyn campus and also the Manhattan campus on Wall Street. There is one Bloomberg terminal in each of the campus sites for students to work on. TAs are also available to help students get familiar with the Bloomberg terminal. Students may also get familiar with VBA, C++, Matlab, R, Yieldbook and other computer languages/ softwares as they complete the program. As a student, there are also opportunities for him/her to work on a research along with professors and/or become one of their TAs. And since NYU has taken NYU-Poly under its wings recently, NYU-Poly students also get benefits from events and courses offered at NYU. Students have access to the NYU Career Center and career fairs and have larger pool of networks. Exceptional students can also take upto 2 courses at Courant Institute of Mathematical Science. I personally enjoyed my 2 years at NYU-Poly. I have learned a great deal and developed a passion for finance. The professors are always helpful and sometimes it is like a family. If you come to the department, you get to get your questions answered. Faculties and students are willing to help with any question. They also constantly update the students with current events and lectures and possible job openings that would benefit the students via emails, so as a student, you won't miss a thing. They are also very caring about the students' welfare. When a student passed away, an email of warm eulogy was sent. You can see how close-knit this program is even though most students are from different countries and speak different languages and have different culture backgrounds. I don't know what you are looking for from a MS program in FE, but if you are interested in studying at NYU-Poly, why don't you come to one of the info sessions they offer or contact the department chair? http://www.poly.edu/academics/departments/finance

Don't mean to offend anybody.. but I do not have a very positive feeling about the program at nyu poly. It may just have been luck, but of the 6-7 inters we got from poly only 1 was good to work in the industry. The remaining were though very book smart but just couldn't apply their smartness to work. I can just say from what i have experienced, dont knw a lot about the program as such....

I actually appreciate your comment. I have never interned for any company before, but I welcome any internship opportunities that would help me gain some real working experience. I just have one question, what kind of competency or skill set would you or most employers in this industry be looking for from an intern or potential employee? How can I make myself more valuable to an employer? Thank you.

Hi All,

NYU Poly looks pretty good from going around the site, they were one of the first programs of its kind so I guess they are pretty well established. They seem to have a lot of students though, do you think this could be a bad thing?

Also someone mentioned that they dont set you up to actually work in the industry but on the site they seemed to emphasis that.

I have started looking at different programs myself but am not sure what I could get into, I was an Engineer undergrad but am interested in finance but my undergrad gpa wasnt very spectacular.

Jeff

Hi All,

NYU Poly looks pretty good from going around the site, they were one of the first programs of its kind so I guess they are pretty well established. They seem to have a lot of students though, do you think this could be a bad thing?

Also someone mentioned that they dont set you up to actually work in the industry but on the site they seemed to emphasis that.

I have started looking at different programs myself but am not sure what I could get into, I was an Engineer undergrad but am interested in finance but my undergrad gpa wasnt very spectacular.

Jeff

I am in the same boat. Trying to evaluate how to get into. I was looking into Part time options so that I can keep working my BO job

Yea some of the schools had a part time option, I would be interested in both. I dont think my current job would be a very good one while going to school.

Whats BO job? like what does BO stand for

Yea some of the schools had a part time option, I would be interested in both. I dont think my current job would be a very good one while going to school.

Whats BO job? like what does BO stand for

Back Office.

I said that, and trust me.. you don't want to go to poly.. most of the people i know from their were still looking for jobs after 1.5 years of graduation and doing pretty much anything to stay in the country (internationals).. like low level accounting jobs, data entry stuff to stay in the country.. etc

This is what I believe. If you are a capable person, you will find a job. The school can't shape who you are. But it can teach you and guide you and give you the credential you need. There is a limit to what anybody can do for you. Ultimately, you need to put effort in finding the job you want/need. If you are relying on a school, you are doing it wrong. There is nothing wrong with the education at Poly. You are talking as if this is only true to Poly students... Do you think those people could do significantly better if they went to another school?

Does NYU Poly actually have a Manhattan campus on Wall Street? I remember there were some arguments about that...

This is what I believe. If you are a capable person, you will find a job. The school can't shape who you are. But it can teach you and guide you and give you the credential you need. There is a limit to what anybody can do for you. Ultimately, you need to put effort in finding the job you want/need. If you are relying on a school, you are doing it wrong. There is nothing wrong with the education at Poly. You are talking as if this is only true to Poly students... Do you think those people could do significantly better if they went to another school?

Your environment plays a big role in your development. If you're surrounded by rockstars and ninjas, chances are that you are more likely to become better yourself.

Your environment plays a big role in your development. If you're surrounded by rockstars and ninjas, chances are that you are more likely to become better yourself.
What is going to happen if you are already a ninja?

Does NYU Poly actually have a Manhattan campus on Wall Street? I remember there were some arguments about that...

There is a Manhattan "campus" on wall street. You only go there for certain classes.

I am attending the FE program this Fall...The University's 2011 fall graduate group has over 400 members...
However in the MSFE doc I created I found only 16 students.
I had a similar question about the huge batch size but this left me a bit confused..

Back