• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE or UIUC MSFE?

Hello everyone,

When comparing University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign MSFE and NYU Tandon MFE, Which school has a better reputation? When it comes to looking for jobs and careers after graduation, which school has a better advantage? UIUC is a prestigious school and its Gies college of business is pretty well known; however, its MSFE program isn't that well known among Quant and its MSFE ranking isn't that good (though it offers its MSFE students the bonus of minoring in computer science while prolonging its program years from 1.5 to 2 years). NYU Tandon MFE's ranking is pretty good among the Quant programs, but there are sayings that NYU Tandon MFE is a bit look down upon since some firms and companies don't think Tandon is a real NYU college (still think it is NYU Poly) and consider it as second-best. Does anyone know about NYU Tandon MFE program and UIUC MSFE?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Are you an international or local student? Proximity to major career hubs is critical if you don't have relevant work experience so take that into account.

The global trading head of my division back at a major european IB was a Brooklyn Poly grad (NYU Tandon) so as long as you deliver no one really bothers where you are from.

Are you an international or local student? Proximity to major career hubs is critical if you don't have relevant work experience so take that into account.

The global trading head of my division back at a major european IB was a Brooklyn Poly grad (NYU Tandon) so as long as you deliver no one really bothers where you are from.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am an international student.

Back