• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon MFE vs NCSU FinMath

Choosing a program for Fall '22

• NYU Tandon MFE

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • NCSU FinMath

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

rrp

I have admits from both NCSU and NYU Tandon and while I'm waiting for other admits, I need to make a decision between these two by 28th Feb. From my research, it seems NCSU is superior academically but NYU benefits from industry faculty and NYC location. I want to work in quantitative portfolio management but I don't have relevant work ex. I would also like to know how the NYU Tandon 4 semester program compares with other 3 semester programs. It would be very helpful if people who have experience with these programs could give their advice.

I would say that NYU is more "investment" and NCSU is more "banking". If you want to work in portfolio management, perhaps the latter is better

I have admits from both NCSU and NYU Tandon and while I'm waiting for other admits, I need to make a decision between these two by 28th Feb. From my research, it seems NCSU is superior academically but NYU benefits from industry faculty and NYC location. I want to work in quantitative portfolio management but I don't have relevant work ex. I would also like to know how the NYU Tandon 4 semester program compares with other 3 semester programs. It would be very helpful if people who have experience with these programs could give their advice.

Hi folks, I'd really appreciate some input on choosing between these two programs.

In the same fix.
Anymore insights from those who picked either of these universities?

In the same fix.
Anymore insights from those who picked either of these universities?
idk anything about tandon and i don't go to NCSU but I did speak with their director back in december, very risk management focused in job prospects, and good course selection. They're willing to be flexible for individual students needs, ie if you want to do PhD preparation they can waive the professional development stuff for you in favour of letting you take a PhD course or two. They don't expect as much of a background as programs of similar level, and are cheaper for sure.

Thanks @blrichard for the response.
I am more confused because apart from peer score, NCSU tops NYU Tandon in median salary and percentage of placed students.

Back