• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online "Introduction to Probability" Courses

Wowbagger

Earning Theta
Hello, folks. My admission letter from CMU has asked me to take a course in calculus-based probability. The exact wording is as follows:

"Your offer of admission is provisional upon your successful completion (with a grade of 'B' or better) of a calculus-based probability course. You may take the probability class at any accredited college or university; however, be sure that the course covers the following topics: the law of large numbers, the central limit theorem, moment-generating functions, multivariate probability distributions, conditional distributions, and independence, covariance and correlation of random variables. This course must be completed by July 30, 2012"

The only course I could find online was UIUC NetMath, and it costs ~ US$1350 if you include the software and books costs. I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives in the US/Asia. Please do revert if you know anything. Thanks!

Well Andy, frankly I have no idea if it has to be credit bearing. What's been your experience?

If it does not have to be credit-bearing, which courses can I look at?

Thanks man. That's why you gotta love QN. Everyone's always ready to help :)

Is that credit bearing? Also looks very expensive like all the other courses on that site.

These are not accredited by a university if that is what you mean. Most courses have traditionally been for IB but I do have student prices. And I support students with exercises and Projects (!)

The QN C++ course I developed is accredited by Baruch.

These are not accredited by a university if that is what you mean. Most courses have traditionally been for IB but I do have student prices. And I support students with exercises and Projects.

The QN C++ course I developed is accredited by Baruch.

That explains the pricing a bit better if they are mainly aimed at IB's. There are a number of very interesting courses on your site, could you let me know the student price list, maybe via PM?

Back