• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online math courses for MFE applicants

Which course would you take online to meet MFE requirement?

• Calculus-based probability

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Numerical Analysis

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • PDE

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
They'd better say Shreve and Glasserman so that they got tuition without teaching.

What is calculus based probability? Something like finding the mean of a continuous distribution or is it something like finding the Lebesgue integral in a measure theory context?

The question of online math pre-req's is an interesting one. I e-mailed UCB a couple of months ago about whether or not they would accept online math classes to fill their requirements and they said yes. Do you guys think this probably apply to most MFE programs? I'm taking calc 2 and linear algebra online through my state university right now. It obviously very convenient and there are absolutely no night math classes offered near me even though there are several college, but the online classes are quite ridiculous. It consists of a syllabus stating which problems you need to complete and some links to a a few MIT videos. Thank God I didn't actually have to pay for these considering it would have cost about$800 per class and includes zero teaching. You are basically paying for the credits from an unknown state college and for somebody to grade your homework. Has anybody had any better experiences with these online classes?

Back