• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online programs - UW-Seattle vs. CMU

Hi,

I'm currently doing the QFCF certificate program through UW and was planning to do the UW CFRM Master's mostly because of the cheap pricetag.

As of right now, I'm taking the second class in the QFCF certificate program. It's the probability/stats class, and so far I'd say its a little bit too easy.

Anyways, UW is less than 1/2 the cost of CMU.

At 12th in the rankings, vs CMU being in the first place, am I at a serious disadvantage with an MS from UW vs. an MS from CMU?

I find the faculty and staff from the UW program to be very friendly and helpful.

If I'm a smart person, can't I make my way to the front of the herd once I'm out in the real world, or is the better [ranked] CMU program going to make an everlasting difference in preparation to work as a quant?

I don't really care that much about the prestige of a program, as long as I get the education I need to be prepared.

Also, I can already make a decent living with my CS background doing contract work for Oracle databases. An Oracle Database consultant can make as much as $300/hour. I'm at the bottom of the totem pole, at $75 an hour, right now, but I'm pretty well situated to continue to work as an Oracle database consultant.

So, in some sense, my life doesn't really depend on being immediately placed at the world's greatest investment bank. I'm doing fine, as it is.

Also, here's another question:

UW lets one take as little or as many courses as they want, each period. So, one can take anywhere from a 1/4 course-load to a full-time course-load. Is the CMU online program flexible in this regard, or no?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Far as I know CMU does not offer online masters in FE. Correct me if I am wrong or if you speak about something else.

Yeah, CMU has an online MCSF program. You're taking the same course sections, the same live lectures, and being graded/ranked alongside the on-campus students. See the below link.

MSCF Online

In any case, let's just say I took courses from either school on-campus.

Would I really be at a huge disadvantage with a degree from UW?

One thing that UW offers, also, is an optional second year of study. You can take an entire year of extra courses in your area of interest. They offer two second year "tracks": quant trading and portfolio risk management.

Heck, you could even spend three years, and take the first year of basic coursework, then take all of the electives in both quantitative trading and risk management.

So let's say you have $80000 to spend. You could get the one year CMU degree or spend two years with the UW program.

Last edited:
Back