• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ordering top programs by finance theory vs. programming

Here's a list of the top programs I'm considering applying to for next year:
MIT, Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia MSFE, NYU, Columbia MAFN, CMU, Cornell

I want some programming component and all of these have that, but I don't want to be consumed by programming. I have a MS in Math from a mediocre school, but want to become a trader, preferably at a bank or hedge fund. Unfortunately the top MSF programs available don't place well into trading (Nova, Vandy, Texas, BC). I recently was accepted to UCLA (first one I applied to), but this program does not place particularly well into trading and I'm considering, strengthening my GRE scores (790Q/450V) and applying to the top 8 programs for traders.

I'm guessing the order starts with MIT as the most theoretical, but I'm not sure where it goes from there. Princeton is also titled a Master in Finance, but I hear there's less theory than in MIT. What I like about MIT and Princeton are the title Master in Finance (sounds broad enough to pass as not too quantish for people who don't want to put quants in trading roles) as well as the fact that they're probably the 2 most well respected universities on this list (not that the others are too shabby). The one thing I don't like about MIT is the way it's setup, Summer to Spring, no room for an internship. That's probably partially why Princeton is the hardest to get into.

Anyways, please help me order these.

Back