• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pass/fail Undergrad

Pass/fail undergrad

Hi I am taking 4 technical courses for this semester, and I am fairly sure I would get good grade for the three of the courses inclduing data science, R programming, and corporate finance courses(A-, A, A maybe) but I am not really confident about getting good grades for the other one(probability course) since I expect I would get at most b- or b if I do well on the final, or C+ in worst case. This would lower my overall gpa(currently about 3.64). I’ve heard mixture of doing pass or fail and letter grade is not recommended, so I am just thinking of taking all courses with pass/fail or letter(my school allows to do pass/fail due to Covid). I am thinking of grad school (mfe program) maybe after working in industry, and I am worried doing pass/fail for course that is required as one of prerequisites for the program would aversely impact the chance of acceptance, even though I received the email from my dream school that they are flexible about taking class with pass/fail due to Covid circumstance. Should I take all classes with pass/fail or letter? Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited:
Pass/fail undergrad

Hi I am taking 4 technical courses for this semester, and I am fairly sure I would get good grade for the three of the courses inclduing data science, R programming, and corporate finance courses(A-, A, A maybe) but I am not really confident about getting good grades for the other one(probability course) since I expect I would get at most b- or b if I do well on the final, or C+ in worst case. This would lower my overall gpa(currently about 3.64). I’ve heard mixture of doing pass or fail and letter grade is not recommended, so I am just thinking of taking all courses with pass/fail or letter(my school allows to do pass/fail due to Covid). I am thinking of grad school (mfe program) maybe after working in industry, and I am worried doing pass/fail for course that is required as one of prerequisites for the program would aversely impact the chance of acceptance, even though I received the email from my dream school that they are flexible about taking class with pass/fail due to Covid circumstance. Should I take all classes with pass/fail or letter? Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
What’s the reason for having a low grade in probability? Maybe a bit harsh, but if you’re struggling in a first course in probability I would really be thinking hard about whether an mfe is the right choice for you. Will doing pass/fail affect your ability to take courses that have probability as a prereq? If so, I’d make sure I crushed the final, eat my B in the class, and then take a more advanced probability course and get an A.

Back