• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Path to Quant Programs for Non-Quant Backgrounds

Hey, I have a business admin background with some programming in Rust, JavaScript. I'm interested in becoming a quant.

1. How long will it take me, assuming I don't have any of the math pre-reqs?
2. Which programs are realistic for me to get into?

1. Shouldn't be more than 2 years.
2. You can see the class profile of program, they state it on their websites. That can give you an idea of what backgrounds usually the programs look for. This won't indicate that the program will not accept your application, it's just that you can understand for which programs, you'll have a better chances of getting accepted.

1. Shouldn't be more than 2 years.
2. You can see the class profile of program, they state it on their websites. That can give you an idea of what backgrounds usually the programs look for. This won't indicate that the program will not accept your application, it's just that you can understand for which programs, you'll have a better chances of getting accepted.

This is really helpful. Did you come from a non-quantitative background too? What was your study path?

Okay, if you can change your role while preparing for the pre-requisites, that will be very helpful. For example, while preparing for calculus, ML and python, or after doing a course like C++ for Financial Engineering, you can try applying for a role that is a little more towards derivatives/quant side in a bank or Big4. Getting a role would be really hard, but once you get into such a role, you can go further towards the quantitative side by taking more responsibilities. That's what I did while working.

Okay, if you can change your role while preparing for the pre-requisites, that will be very helpful. For example, while preparing for calculus, ML and python, or after doing a course like C++ for Financial Engineering, you can try applying for a role that is a little more towards derivatives/quant side in a bank or Big4. Getting a role would be really hard, but once you get into such a role, you can go further towards the quantitative side by taking more responsibilities. That's what I did while working.
Thank you =)

Don't see any reason why it should be relatively harder. Pick up any undergrad Calculus and Linear Algebra book. You should be good to go. :)

This exact response applies here: MFE with a Finance Degree

I had the same issue - ended up getting a dual master's degree in two years time. A number of programs should be a real possibility for you.

Back